> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gerbal88 <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > Today is simply not better than the 70's.
>
> I'm stayin' out of the more inflammatory side of all of
> this, but I think this is an interesting statement. It's
> stated as if it could be assumed. So I found myself
> wondering whether there are people here who honestly
> feel that today *is* better than the 70's?
>
> If so, I'd love to hear your reasons for believing this.
> No hassles, no arguments...I'm just curious.
>
> I'd be torn on how to answer this koan. Part of me would
> want to say that Then was better than Now because the
> overall vibe of the rock on which we live seems to have
> gone WAAAAAaaaay downmarket since the 70s. But another
> part of me would say that things are better Now than
> they were Then because in the game of life Now always
> trumps Then.

Today is infinitely better than the '70s, for a variety of personal
and universal reasons:

1) I'm older and wiser (but certainly not more mature!)

2) There's the internet today.

3) Thanks to the U.S.A. in general and Ronald Reagan in particular,
communism -- the most evil and destructive philosophies ever to be
visited upon mankind -- has been nearly wiped off the planet (except
for a few fanatical hold-outs such as Cuba and North
Korea...although even Albania rejected it!)

4) Although there are a few billion MORE  people on the planet today
than there was in the '70s, we are feeding practically everyone.

5) Although we have a long way to go still, more diseases have been
eradicated.

6) Capitalism and democracy is more prevalent today making the
quality of life and standard of living better fore billions more
people than in the '70s.

7) 1,000s more Wal-Marts today than in the '70s.

8) I could go on and on but I can hear Judy vomiting in New Jersey
even though I'm out here in Arizona...