> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajranatha@> wrote:
> >

> > On Jul 2, 2006, at 3:59 PM, MDixon6569@ wrote:

> > > the
> > > >

> > > The horror of it all...
> > > Actually M does get it. He told us that none of these things
like
> > > Asanas and mudras and what have you ever needed to be
performed
> > > perfectly. The intent and practice to the best of one's ability
is
> > > good enough. M recited a poem by Shankara to illustrate this.
It
> > > was something like, A little understanding of the Gita, a taste
of
> > > the Ganges, a pilgrimage to a Holy site, a little asanas and
so
> > > forth was the key. Never did Shankara expect everyone to
become
> > > great Vedic Scholar, or live off of the Ganges, go to all Holy
> > > places, or do all the asanas perfectly. But one should show
the
> > > intent and do what he could and consider it done. M said there
are
> > > teachers out there that demand everything be done perfectly, if
one
> > > uses Chin Mudra, they expect the finger tips of index and thumb
be
> > > placed perfectly and form a perfect circle and the other three
> > > fingers held perfectly straight away. For us, he said, it is
enough
> > > that the index finger and thumb touch. Transcending is what we
pay
> > > attention to, not all the other stuff.
> >
> > Unfortunately when posture is not right during meditation--and
there
> > *are* many ways to sit--it screws with the vital airs and a
number of
> > other things. If you can't sit in lotus or some la-dee-da asana,
just
> > sit in a chair.

It's interesting that when I change during a session
from TM to "naasikaantarmadhya-saMyama" (SS III 44)
my posture almost immediately gets straightened, or stuff.
(naasikaantarmadhyasaMyamaat kim atra savyaapasavya-
sauSumneSu)
Of course that's only my take on what that suutra
might actually mean. There seems to be several
differing opinions on what "naasikaantarmadhyasaMyama"
really means. My translation is mainly based on
the "PataƱjalian" meaning of saMyama (desha-bandhash cittasya,
and all that...)