> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny H" <kennyhassman@>
> wrote:
> >
> > for Pete Seeger fans you watch a really great interview with Amy
> > Goodman. Amazing how lucid he is, his memory is crystal clear.
> > KH
> >
> > http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/03/1443245
> >

> Did he mention how he supported and defending Adolf Hitler...that
is,
> before his masters in Moscow were duped by Adolf at which point he
did
> a 180 degree about-face and then, all of a sudden, was against
Hitler?

> (now Judy will chime in and claim that Seeger never did such a
> thing...keeping with her well-tuned tradition of defending
> supporters of mass murder and racism)

Judy will point out that the above is an incredibly
distorted version of what actually happened, which
is what we usually hear from Shemp.  And of course
he *knows* he's lying about my purportedly defending
supporters of mass murder and racism.

If the following sounds a little familiar to you,
Shemp, it's because we already had this same
discussion over on alt.m.t when you made this claim
about Seeger. This is a repost of what I posted
then, just to remind you that we know who is lying
about what.

And here's an *accurate* description of what happened, from "Woody
Guthrie's Life" (note that the Almanac Singers mentioned below was
Pete Seeger's group):

Woody's politics took a turn as the United States came into the
Second World War. Early in the war, communist-sympathizing singers
were confused about what stance they should take on the war. They
wrote anti-war songs, citing the typical "rich man's war, poor man's
fight" nature of international conflict, and since Stalin and Hitler
had signed a non-aggression pact, they felt it wrong to support a
fight against Hitler.

Yet the far Left obviously found no consonance with Nazi ideals, and
they passionately despised Hitler's ways. So for a time, Woody, the
Almanac Singers, and similar performers were torn on what their
opinon of the war should be. When Hitler broke his agreement with
Stalin, though, the American Left could freely and adamantly support
the war. After all, Americans and Soviets were fighting side by side
against a common enemy, and a thoroughly despicable enemy at that.

Since the US was fighting fascism, Woody and the Almanac Singers
wrote dozens of songs about defeating fascism and Hitler. And since
any kind of strike would cripple the war effort, all the old union
songs were put on the shelf for awhile. Eventually though, Pete
Seeger joined the army, and that left the Almanac singers up in the
air.

http://www.dhh-ev.de/alt/woody.html

The copies of the anitwar (not pro-Hitler or pro-Nazi) album
the Almanac Singers had made were withdrawn and destroyed the
day after Hitler invaded, and the group proceeded to make a new
album calling on the United States to get into the war against
Hitler.

And Pete Seeger, as noted above, joined the Army to fight Hitler.