> In a message dated 7/6/06 10:34:41 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Though the separation of church and state is enshrined
> in the US Constitution, with  financial backing from the
evangelical
> community the college aims to
> 'rechristianise' America; to  'preserve the world from the
sinfulness of
> man'.
>
> There is no mention of separation of Church and State in the
> Constitution.

"Separation of church and state" is the phrase used
by Jefferson to refer to the principles enshrined in
the First Amendment.

> As a matter of fact the first amendment to the constitution
> guarantees that the Federal government shall not establish a state
> religion,nor  shall it prohibit the free exercise of religion.

Right.  That's separation of church and state.

The phrase itself is obviously not in the Constitution,
but the principles to which it refers most certainly
are.

 We have a democratic  republic form of
> government, which means the people elect their representatives  to
make laws that
> they want to represent their values. If the majority want laws
that express
> Judaic/ Christian principles they can have it or if they want laws
to express
> Shiriah beliefs or Laws of Manu, they can elect people to do so.

Not if those laws abrogate other rights guaranteed
by the Constitution.

  But the
> government can not make you be a Christian, Jew, Muslim or anything
else

But if what you say above were true, you could be
deprived of rights on the basis of your *not* being
of a certain religion.

The First Amendment holds that all religions must be
equal in the eyes of the law.  It has been pointed
out that religious belief *thrives* under this mandated
freedom; the U.S. is the second most religious country
in the world, after India.

 and it
> can not take tax money away from you to establish an official
state  religion.

> The people at Patrick Henry are doing what they believe in

The people at Patrick Henry hope to amend the
Constitution to remove the wall of separation and
to take away other rights guaranteed by the
Constitution, in accordance with their own personal
religious beliefs.

, just as  the people
> of MUM did what they believed in when they started the Natural Law
Party.

Bogus analogy.