<snip>
> I usually don't reply to these rants which go off the right side of
> the Thunderbird message pane and probably are clear the other side
> of the neighbor's house by now  ;-)

Just out of curiosity, why does Thunderbird strip
out the hard returns?  Barry (to whom you're
replying) always keeps the lines of his posts
significantly shorter than even the full message-
window width so they don't get broken when they're
quoted (as do I, including in this post).

If Thunderbird's going to strip hard returns, it
ought to have an option to wrap the text to fit
its own window.