> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Murphy" <dawnhawk@>

> > > Only 45% felt that the 9/11 commissions findings were not a
> > cover-up. It means that
> > > someone who's opinions are are supported by almost half the
> > population doesn't deserve
> > > to be called a lunatic. I'm not saying he's right, but that his
> > opinions do deserve respect.
> >
> > So does that imply that since only 45% or so of people felt Saddam
> was
> > not connnected to 9/11 deservere respect? Personally, I feel they do
> > not. They are ignorant and uniformed.
>
> This is kind of a backward analogy.  The people who
> wrongly believed Saddam was behind 9/11 did so because
> that's the story the administration was pushing; they
> believed what they were told by those in authority.
>
> Those who think the 9/11 commission report was bogus
> do *not* believe what they've been told by those in
> authority.
>
> That per se doesn't mean the latter are right, but
> there's a very different dynamic at work that you
> need to take into account.

It is a different dynamic, but there are many different dynamics of
misinformation and manipulation in the world. Perhaps taking each into
account is necessary, perhaps not. I will ponder that.

But what occurs to me is the analogy of disease. There are many
different types of bacteria and viruses out there, with quite
different dynamics. if a person's immune system is strong, it
disallows most or all from gaining a foothold in the body. Regardless
of the source or "dynamic" of the bacteria/virus.

The analogy is to the mind. Being  well-informed, rational, able to
wade through logically fallacies and cognitive errors is like the
immune system of the mind -- disallowing weak, false, manipulative and
unfounded ideas from gaining foothold.

Applying this analogy would indicate that the real issue and problem
is not a huge diversity of manipulative, misinformative, logically
inconsistent, and highly-spun infotainment "attacking" us daily
(though it is a nusance and is reflective of a low and coarse
culture), but that a large number of folks have weak mental immune
systems and have a hard time fighting off such misinformation and
spin. They have trouble sorting through the onslaught of crap whether
it is administration spin/misinformation that Saddam was involved in
9/11 or conspiratoral spin/misinformation spread by loons,
biased-agendees, or conspiratoral addicts ("blows against the empire"
mentality).