<snip>
> 'Unstressing,' to me (if you're seriously asking) is
> a *made up* phrase that doesn't have much to do with
> reality. As we've discussed before, I do not believe
> that 'stress' has anything whatsoever to do with
> preventing the realization of enlightenment.

In this, just for the record, you're disagreeing with
yogic theory generally, not just with MMY.  Which is
fine, but it's misleading to suggest that these
concepts are somehow unique to TM.

 I think
> that Maharishi coopted the word 'stress' from Hans
> Selye and coined the phrase 'unstressing' because it
> gave him an easy way to ignore some of the less-than-
> pleasant side effects of TM.

Actually, less-than-pleasant side effects is a very
well-known concept in the yogic literature; it's
typically referred to (as MMY sometimes does) as
"purification."

MMY borrowed the terms "stress" and "unstressing"
from Selye, certainly, but the point was to put a
more neutral spin on the phenomenon.  "Impurities"
sounds like a value judgment; nobody wants to think
of themselves as "impure," as if there's something
wrong with them.

Just as one example of what MMY teaches about "stress"
being found in other yogic contexts, from a page about
Kripalu Yoga:

Yoga teaches that our core problem stems from the fact that we have
forgotten who and what we really are. This avidya, or spiritual
ignorance, is the most subtle impurity. Convinced that we are defined
by our bodies, beliefs, personalities, preferences, possessions,
careers, and nationalities, we live estranged from an authentic sense
of self and cut off from a vital spiritual connection. Purification
consists of vidya¬óthe direct experience of spirit. What yoga calls
chitta shuddhi or purification of the self-sense, contemporary
practitioners refer to as spiritual awakening.

When the body is sluggish and the world is viewed through a thick
filter of emotional baggage and mental clutter, it's impossible to
see reality clearly and respond appropriately. This is why approaches
to healing and growth that don't work to purify body and mind prove
superficial. It's important to know, however, that the kind of
purification brought on by intensive yoga practice can be a
challenging proposition. When the pace of purification is rapid, it
can lead to a healing crisis and a temporary reduction in function.
Common experiences include headaches, nausea, colds, fevers, or areas
of soreness that suddenly come and go. As the crisis passes, vitality
rises to a new level.

The most potent forms of purification are emotional and mental. In
the phenomena called catharsis, purification can cause powerful
emotions to surface and break through unconscious barriers to
feeling. Catharsis can dramatically cleanse an emotional system that
has grown congested and dull. Although it leads to greater
sensitivity and balance, feeling the mental content associated with
catharsis often pushes you outside comfort zones and beyond perceived
limits. Mental purification can similarly lead to insights that
reconfigure a mind grown cluttered and compartmentalized. Although
increased clarity and creativity is the result, clearing the mind
requires bearing the pain of confronting material that has been
pushed out of conscious awareness, experiencing inner conflict,
reliving past memories, and acknowledging unseen shortcomings.

http://www.kripalu.org/kyta_artcl.php?id=207