--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 7/13/06 8:30:44 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> --- MDixon6569 wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if Poland ever thought war  was necessary.
>
> The "no appeasement" camp always cites Hitler and
> 1939 as the reason why we shouldn't appease aggressive
> dictators, but  that school of thought neglects the true
> cause of World War II, which was  World War I. And the
> lesson of World War I was, appeasement would have
> served Europe's purposes better than that  war.
>
> Yes, and appeasement served Tibet well. Has appeasement
> served  Israel at all?

My point is not that appeasement is always good or
bad, but rather that each situation must be evaluated
on its merits. I'm not being persuaded by this reflexive
tendency to say, "this situation is just like in 1939
against Hitler," because it never is. It doesn't help to
cite the lessons of World War II by forgetting those
of World War I.

If you'd like to hold forth on the lessons of Tibet and
Israel, I'm willing to read them.