--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > You CANNOT say "no" in polite Japanese. Japanese engineers
> > converse in English to get around this issue.
>
> Is this inability to say "no" a function of the
> social hierarchy? For instance, I can't say "no"
> because only someone of higher rank would
> request something of me, and I cannot refuse
> someone who outranks me. That sort of scenario.
>
> I'm told a big part of Japanese communication
> is determining where one ranks in relation to
> others, for one's rank determines which forms
> of speech one uses.

Exactly. However, saying "no" is just impolite. The word exists, but if you use
it, its
generally quite insulting. Especially in the more emphatic forms. "Chotto"
which means "a
bit..." is about as negative as you can get in polite company.

Do you wanna do lunch?
Chotto...

There's a classic bit of manga. The kid is arguing with his dad and he
eventually screams
to his Dad in English "no means NO!"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM