************************

>From "House of War," by James Carroll, p.138:

"Paranoid thinking consists of a twin dynamic: fear of an enemy
outside is accompanied by a fear of an enemy inside. This pattern was
firmly implanted in Western consciousness during the Crusades, when
Christendom mobilized against the Islamic infidel in possession of the
Holy Land. But no sooner was the First Crusade launched against the
Muslim enemy outside, with Pope Urban II's cry "God wills it!" in
1095, than crusaders attacked, in the spring of 1096, the infidel
inside: the Jews living in cities along the Rhine. This was Europe's
first pogrom. Nearby Jews were not physically at risk until faraway
Muslims were attacked. In the Christian mind, fear of the enemy
outside became fear of the enemy inside.

The same dynamic came into play in the United States, where a
subliminal "paranoid streak" had long had its effect."

http://www.buzzflash.com/store/items/216

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM