--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I have long desired to see a "great" novel or film depicting
ordinary
> Germans' lives in the 20's and 30's -- to see how far well-woven
> propaganda, and the scarcity of outside information and critical
> thought, mixed with peer-pressure, strong and noble themes, etc., in
> the context of severe economic depression and hyper-inflation, could
> shape ones beliefs towards scapegoats, extreme measures -- and the
> unthinkable.
>
> This non-fiction book appears to do that, or at least takes one down
> that road. I just saw a great interview of the author on Booknotes
> (Cspan.)
>
> Anyone read this book?
(snip)

I haven't read the book, yet; but I know the attitudes mentioned, in
Germany, were shared by many in the Western World, at the time.
Certainly the Islamic people were against the Jews then, as they are
now.
But people forget the prejudice in the United States, and
other "Christian" nations, throughout the world.
I'm not sure of all of the history of the time;
But I know the US was not taking many Jews who wanted to escape to
freedom, into this country, unlike the millions of Mexicans who
routinely come here, everyday.
Hitler by some, was sort of looked at as an elitist, and various
elitist types gravitated toward admiring him; Joseph Kennedy, Henry
Ford, George Bush's Grandfather, and other's here in the US
So, this sort of world consciousness at the time, also contributed to
this extreme form of elitism, with it's extreme view of who the enemy
is: Instead of looking within- they look for an enemy, imagined or
real, outside of themselves;
So, not taking responsibility for the militarism, of W.W.I Germany,
would rather just blame the Jews, since everyone else did? Right?

The same elitism tends to rule now; with the same militarism, that is
money for the military, and money for the elite; tax cuts for the top
dogs; which is good, I guess for the top dogs(Gas in Saudi Arabia,
costs 27cents a gallon,so...and who's making all those billions in
Iraq?...

Anyway, what I was saying about the Nazi thing, is that it was a
general attitude of many 'Christian people', at the time;
As the Jews were blamed for the turning away from Jesus Christ, and
for his death;
So, subtly, there was an attitude around, to let the Jews rot.

Since then the horrors of the end game;
The destruction of Europe and much of Asia;
As well as the frightening glimpse of the holocaust;
Brought people onto a slightly higher state of awareness;
In terms of 'right-wing' regimes..

Now the Christians and Jews are on the same side;
The Arabs regard America and Israel as the same entity.
So, I guess the Arab/Jew haters are the ones to suffer now..

As ironically The Israeli regime further aligns itself with the
United States, and the general attitude of militarism;
I guess it's just the playing out of some major Karma..
Hopefully, it will calm down soon?

 Even if of lesser severity, the scope and severity of the dynamics
may
> be different from germany between the two WW, there are potentially
> strong parallels to True Belief Syndrome, and US and western forays
> "root out evil": crusades (evil muslims), WWII, (evil, less than
human
> "japs"), cold war (evil russians), [before you go ballistic shemp,
> never have and never will hate Maria Sharapova], war on terror [evil
> muslims].
>
> Thus the US can kill 100,000 non-combatant citizens in fire bombs in
> one night, and then again and again, and then millions in Hiroshima
> etc, and rationalize it as justifiable.  As germans could
rationalize
> rooting out the 'source of allied aggression and agression against
> germany' as justifiable. As "nuking those camel jockeys into a big
> parking lot" -- is rationalized as justified by some even today in
> thee "modern" US.
>

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674021754/sr=8-
1/qid=1153011114/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0587581-9745548?ie=UTF8

> Editorial Reviews
> Review
> Here, practically for the first time, we can see how Germans before
> and during World War II were at all times in their daily lives
> confronted with a carefully designed view of the world in which a
> mythical Jewish enemy was portrayed as threatening Germans and hence
> had to be killed. No prior study has shown as clearly as this one
how
> central this theme was to German wartime propaganda in all its
forms.
> --Gerhard L. Weinberg, University of North Carolina
> Jeffrey Herf has written a brilliant book that reorients our
> understanding of the Holocaust. Arguing that racial antisemitism,
> however vicious, was an insufficient basis for genocide, Herf
> demonstrates that a major shift occurred in Nazi propaganda during
the
> war: Jews were now presented as a political threat to the German
> nation, and as the instigators, through their puppets, America,
> England, and the Soviet Union, of a deadly world war against
Germany.
> --Susannah Heschel, author of Abraham Geiger and the Jewish Jesus
> A commendable and compelling elucidation of the Nazi propaganda
which
> accompanied the Holocaust, indispensable for both students of the
> Third Reich and general readers.
> --Jay W. Baird, author of The Mythical World of Nazi Propaganda,
1939-1945
> In this impressive book, Jeffrey Herf shows that the omnipresent
image
> of the 'international Jew' as the source of Germany's victimhood was
> central to the propaganda and political imagination of the Nazi
> leadership, which made no secret of its intention to destroy
European
> Jewry.
> --Anson Rabinbach, Princeton University
>
> Book Description
>
> The sheer magnitude of the Holocaust has commanded our attention for
> the past sixty years. The extent of atrocities, however, has
> overshadowed the calculus Nazis used to justify their deeds.
>
> According to German wartime media, it was German citizens who were
> targeted for extinction by a vast international conspiracy. Leading
> the assault was an insidious, belligerent Jewish clique, so crafty
and
> powerful that it managed to manipulate the actions of Roosevelt,
> Churchill, and Stalin. Hitler portrayed the Holocaust as a defensive
> act, a necessary move to destroy the Jews before they destroyed
Germany.

> Joseph Goebbels, Minister of Propaganda, and Otto Dietrich's Press
> Office translated this fanatical vision into a coherent cautionary
> narrative, which the Nazi propaganda machine disseminated into the
> recesses of everyday life. Calling on impressive archival research,
> Jeffrey Herf recreates the wall posters that Germans saw while
waiting
> for the streetcar, the radio speeches they heard at home or on the
> street, the headlines that blared from newsstands. The Jewish Enemy
is
> the first extensive study of how anti-Semitism pervaded and shaped
> Nazi propaganda during World War II and the Holocaust, and how it
> pulled together the diverse elements of a delusionary Nazi
worldview.
> Here we find an original and haunting exposition of the ways in
which
> Hitler legitimized war and genocide to his own people, as necessary
> destroy an allegedly omnipotent Jewish foe. In an era when both
> anti-Semitism and conspiracy theories continue to influence world
> politics, Herf offers a timely reminder of their dangers along with
> fresh interpretation of the paranoia underlying the ideology of the
> Third Reich.
>
> 5 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
> Suggestive New Interpretations, June 5, 2006
> Reviewer:     Werner Cohn (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
> (REAL NAME)
> Herf's materials are powerful and unsettling, even to readers who
are
> well acquainted with the literature on Nazism. He shows, in detail
> that has not previously been seen, how the Nazi war-time hate
> propaganda combined verbal attacks against Jews with attacks against
> the Allies. To these Nazi propagandists, the Jews were the overall
> enemy, standing behind and stage-managing the Allies.
>
> Herf's interpretation differs in some respects from previous work by
> others. He holds that the Nazis' anti-Semitic propaganda in wartime
> was essentially different from what they had done in the pre-war
> period: this war-time propaganda was, in his view, a deliberate
> incitement to commit the Holocaust, while previous campaigns had
been
> no more than "traditional" anti-Semitism.
>
> Since the Nazis were never explicit in their propaganda about the
mass
> killing of Jews, Herf's assertions about their intentions in this
> propaganda cannot be proven. Nevertheless, I find his
interpretations