http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Israel_Lobby_and_U.S._Foreign_Policy

> Regardless of the religious realities, they need us more than we
need them, I think...

Oh absolutely, Israel would disappear immediately without U.S.
support, but that's the whole point. Israel does nothing for the
U.S., which is what a client state is for (like the Russians using
the Bulgarians when they wanted to assassinate the Pope, or having
Cuba send troops into Africa) -- or more accurately, Israel does
nothing except bring grief to the U.S. by antagonizing Arabs and
Muslims worldwide. Israel gets whatever it wants from the U.S. and
therefore this makes the U.S. the client and Israel the shot-caller,
although the flow of money is from the U.S. to Israel.