TorquiseB writes; snipped
> Well said, Jim. This is something that people who
> live in our time and were raised in the affluent
> West really don't understand. I've often thought
> that the best thing that could ever happen to
> America and Americans is to have some kind of
> "compassion draft," in which every citizen is
> required to travel in third world countries for
> a year before they are allowed to vote and
> become citizens. Most of them have never seen
> the conditions they speak so glibly about.

Tom T:
I have suggested that all juvenile delinquents be given a one way
ticket to a city like Bombay or the like in Bangladesh. They will be
given $5 and told that if they survive and make it back after 60 days
they will be given a ticket home to the US. I think that many of them
would not survive and that wouldn't be much loss and those that did
would really appreciate exactly how good they actually have it. Your
mileage may vary. Tom