In a message dated 7/27/06 2:04:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Were you kidding when you said you didn't think
many people converted to Judaism except if they
married a Jew?
No, I was serious about that. I can't prove it, but when you hear about people converting you usually hear of them converting to the other major religions of the world, Christianity Islam and Buddhism. As you said earlier Jews tend to discourage conversion to their religion or at least not make it easy. Because of this I would think the major reason for people converting to Judaism would be because their spouse was Jewish. I wouldn't be surprised in this time if  more people didn't try to explore the possibility but I don't think it would be common.