<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was just throwing out my theory.  Don't you ever make theories
> about other people's motivations?

Yeah, but I don't then ignore the response and
say, "We all have to ask and answer these questions
for ourselves."

  I accept that it is only you who
> will ever really know.

That's big of you.

Here's my theory about you:  You cannot bear the
idea that there is anybody who doesn't see you
as a terrific fellow.  You put enormous effort
into being agreeable, and you're usually very
successful at it.

But not always, and it freaks you out to find that
somebody thinks you're a creep; you have to stand
on your head to try to change their opinion of you.

I don't know whether it keeps you awake at night if
you can't do it, but I wouldn't be the least bit
surprised if it did.  It's like an itch you can't
stop scratching.

For whatever reason, your own good opinion of
yourself isn't enough.  You have to see a perfect
score reflected back from everybody else, and
you expend a tremendous amount of energy in trying
to achieve that impossible goal.