> In a message dated 8/1/06 12:51:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Reasonable Person Test:
>
> someone points a gun at you and you  shoot him. It turns out to be
unloaded.
> No problem.
>
> someone, in front  of you, empties their gun, checks to make sure
there is no
> round in the
> chamber, than points it at you and you shoot him. It turns out to
be
> unloaded. BIG
> problem.
>
> And just what are the chances of scenario number two ever
> happening?

I think the point is that if you have no good reason
to think the gun isn't loaded, and you shoot the
guy and then find out it was not, in fact, loaded,
you wouldn't be liable for his death.

Remember the original question was whether, if
someone threatened me with a gun, and I had a gun
as well, I'd shoot first.  I said I would only if
I were pretty sure he wasn't bluffing.  This was
with reference to Iran.  The question about the gun
being loaded was an afterthought (obviously if
the gun weren't loaded, he'd be bluffing, but he
could also be bluffing with a loaded gun).

(Isn't this the kind of question game theory deals
with?)