As a foster parent I can tell you the hallmarks courses on foster parenting or adoption all warn against are kids with attachment disorders, esp. undiagnosed or overlooked Reactive Attachment Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder. These are often unlikely to respond to easy intervention and can make your life a living hell. It seems to me these kids are our future sociopaths in many cases. Esp. for institutionalied kids who through manipulation of the system, never, ever form a solid, healthy attachment to an adult.