Michael's formula is 155 centers x 50 avg initiations.  The 155
centers with recerts seems high - I'm talking about really active
centers, not just an address/phone. The recert course had a little
over 200 CPs as I remember, and about 1/3 were staff who were going
back to staff jobs, so that leaves about 155.  Every single recert I
know who went out to teach TM has since come back due to inability to
support themselves.  The ones I know who are still out are focused on
real estate work, not initiations.  Obviously I don't know the vast
majority of recerts, but assuming some are teaching as couples I just
don't see how you get 155 active centers run by recerts.

Michael goes to great length to show that his area of 6 million is
about average financially.  The pop. of the US is about 50 times
greater than his area, so if his area really is average then you could
estimate total US initiations at 50 x 50 avg initiations, or 2550 total.

Who knows if SE Florida is average as for as TM initiations go?  I
think Michael mentioned in the past that an MD and his wife were the
recerts there -- if that's right then they would represent an above
average quality level of intro lecturer, at least as important as the
financial demographics.

Of course, there would be no need for debate if the TMO released
figures.  Didn't someone post some info on the official number of
inititations last year?  Can anyone find this info??

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dean Goodman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Vaj [EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote, in response to what Michael Dean
> > Goodman wrote about the number of TM initiations in SE Florida and
> > extrapolating them to make a guess at the number of initiations na-
> > tionally:
>
> [big snip of Michael's original post]
>
> >>Toward the end of his post, Michael said:
>
> >>I don't have any reason to believe that my local area is all that
> >>different from many other areas with recertified teachers around the
> >>country.
>

> > Vaj replies:
>
> > It would depend on the area. I have a home there and have lived on
> > and off in the "Gold Coast" of FL for the last 30 years.
> >
> > It's one of the wealthiest areas of the country.
>
> OPENING REMARKS
>
> Dear Vaj,
>
> My general reaction to your clever but feeble attempt to negate my
remarks,
> to do your typical "one-upsmanship" routine, to create a cloud of
words that
> play upon misunderstanding and misdirection, to mislead people that
the num-
> ber of TM initiations is lower than I intelligently estimated in
order to
> promote your anti-TM agenda - Vaj I say to you, with a big smile on
my face:

> Do you need reading glasses?
> Or are you from another planet - and English is a remote language
for you?
> Or is your need to manifest negativity toward anything "TM" so intensely
> gripping that you'll toss your integrity to the wind?
>
> Somehow you pretend you are "replying" to what I wrote, but it feels
like
> you didn't actually slow down, read it, and take in the obvious meaning.
> You just used my remarks as a jumping off point to spread negativity,
> doubt, and misinformation.  You are one slippery, dark dude.
>

> VAJ CLAIMS HE'S AN EXPERT ON SE FLORIDA - WRONG!
>
> Let's actually shine the light of awareness on your "reply":
>
> 1. You say that you've lived on and off in the "Gold Coast" of Florida
> for the last 30 years.
>
> I assume you're saying that, in order to establish, as usual, that
you are
> more 'expert' on the topic at hand (the demographics of SE Florida)
than I
> or anyone else, even though I live here full-time, have for years,
and I'm
> a very intelligent person who networks here extensively, regularly
travels
> the whole area, publishes newsletters and creates events throughout the
> area, and loves paying attention to socio-economic details.
>
> So you're going to contradict me, and "correct" me about local socio-
> economics?  This should be good for a few laughs...  Let's have at
it.  ;)

> If we actually take a slightly deeper look at your words, you just
appear
> foolish, not 'expert'.  This is what I notice about so many of your
posts:
> you have a veneer of expertise, an appearance of knowledge, but it's
just
> smoke and mirrors, just illusion.  Poke a little into the words and
there's
> no substance there.  "Where's the beef?"
>
> a. By your own words, you admit that you're a "snow bird", an on-and-
> off northern visitor who dabbles at Florida life when it's cold up
north,
> and you admit you live on the "Gold Coast".  I'm assuming that, like
> many snow birds, especially those who live along the ocean, that maybe
> you don't see much of the other 98% of SE Florida, and maybe you inter-
> act quite a lot with other snow birds and not permanent Floridians...
> because you seem so ignorant about SE Florida in your remarks here.
>

> VAJ CLAIMS SE FLORIDA IS AMONG THE WEALTHIEST AREA'S IN THE U.S. -
WRONG!

> b. My original post was very clear.  I wrote about the initiations in a
> big, 3 county metro area - Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach
Counties -
> [...]
>
> To bring it closer to home for Fairfield Lifers:
>
> * Jefferson County, IA   average personal income: $28,200/year (20%
less)
> * Des Moines Metro, IA   average personal income: $36,400/year (SAME!)
>
> Read that again, Vaj!  The Des Moines metro area has the same average
> personal income as the area I've been talking about in SE Florida.  It
> really doesn't seem like SE Florida is "one of the wealthiest in the
> country" now does it?
>
> Palm Beach County        average personal income,  ranks  51st in US
counties
> Broward County           average personal income,  ranks 249th in US
counties
> Miami-Dade County        average personal income,  not in the top
250 counties

> Enough numbers - you get the picture.  SE Florida as a whole is no
different
> than many major metro areas around the country.
>
> > Vaj claimed (about the Gold Coast that is 2% of SE Florida):
> > It's one of the wealthiest areas of the country.
>
> Vaj, if you actually knew this area - SE Florida - as you brag you do,
> or if you were even smart enough to look up a few figures before you
> spouted off, you'd know that it does include some incredibly wealthy
> areas (like the one you picked) and ALSO includes incredible poverty
> (working-class ethnic minorities, illegal immigrants, poor retired old
> folks - shacks, simple old homes, trailer parks, ticky-tack
developments),
> and most importantly a predominant middle-class.
>
> Interestingly, and completely contrary to the picture you tried to ar-
> tificially paint, the people who start TM tend - according to the local
> TM teachers and to their great surprise - NOT to be the wealthy, but in-
> stead to be from the middle class here.
>

> VAJ CLAIMS TM IS MARKETED IN SE FLORIDA TOWARD THE WEALTHIEST - WRONG!
>
> > Presumably this is the sector TM is marketed towards.
>
> Your presumption is simply wrong.
>
> Although I'm sure the local TM teachers would love to make inroads into
> the top 2%, the wealthy, the trend-setters - just as they would in any
> metro area (not just SE Florida), they do general public ads, give lec-
> tures to whoever comes, and (as I pointed out above) are often surprised
> that the wealthy are not the ones that learn.  And they put their atten-
> tion where the results are flowing.  I said in my original post that the
> people learning TM are NOT the wealthy; did you actually have the cour-
> tesy to read my post and think about the meaning of my words before you
> reacted?  Do you question my integrity, or think I'm lying?  Or do you
> just want to project your own presumptions, dark misinformation
campaign,
> puffed-up ego posturing, etc.?
>
> > and only 30 a year are taking it in that area?  That's a very small
> > amount.
>

> MICHAEL CLAIMED 30 INITIATIONS FOR SE FLORIDA LAST YEAR - ACTUALLY
IT'S 50

> [...]
> ther place to express some negativity, you are just trying to create
> false division, to play "Let's You and Him Fight".  Obviously it's NOT
> "apropos" - it IS part of your obsessive dance.
>
> > how many do you think he's initiating in the same time period?
>
> Since it's not very significant how many the TM Movement initiated,
> why would it be important to compare that to how many another move-
> ment initiated?  And the techniques are different, the effects are
> different, the intention may even be different.  It's just a red
> herring; it's another diversion to shift people's attention away
> from the info I was asking them to focus on, which is so threatening
> to your anti-TM worldview.
>
> Vaj - write your own posts.  Don't piggyback on mine; don't play
> your attention-shifting, veil-of-confusion tricks around my words.
>
> > I would guess many more, maybe hundreds of times more.
>
> Since we've clearly seen above that things which you assert that
> you know as "facts" are often untrue and deceptive, why would we
> take your mere guess seriously?  Why don't you (a) actually find
> out the number of his initiations; (b) find out what's being counted
> in those numbers (breathing, meditation, etc.); (c) consider whether
> it's even a useful or meaningful bit of comparison to spend your or
> our attention on; (d) and go have some fun instead.
>
> > Unless the other recerts have a similar demographic area in terms
> > of wealth,
>
> So this piece of misinformation about the "special wealth" of this
> area that you tried to slip in has been completely debunked above,
> and needs no more comment.  It's just nonsense.
>
> > I'd guess you're right, the same or less, depending on demographics.
>
> Again, that sneaky slippery twisty use of language!
> We've got to watch you like a hawk.
> You say "I guess you're right..." and then follow it with a complete
> misstatement of my words "the same or less".  And it's obvious that
> you're smart enough that you know you're doing this; it's not an acci-
> dent.  You cleverly appear to agree with something I said ("I guess
> you're right...") and then slide right into saying your own contrasting
> conclusion ("or less"). You know that I didn't say that.  Don't try to
> commandeer my words and shift them for your purpose.
>

> ALL I AM SAYING: GIVE FACTS A CHANCE -
> APPROXIMATELY 7750 PEOPLE LEARNED TM IN THE U.S. OVER THE PAST YEAR
>
> I'm making the reasonable assumption, based on my knowledge of this
> SE Florida area, and on my knowledge of a number of metro areas around
> the country, and on the qualities of our local teachers, that our yearly
> initiation numbers in this area would be about average for other teach-
> ing centers in the country.  And then I'm suggesting that anyone could
> arrive at a reasonable approximation of national TM initiation figures
> by doing some simple, non-controversial math: multiplying our yearly
> figure in SE Florida (50 initiations) times the number of similar TM
Cen-