--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "peterklutz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<shempmcgurk@>
> > wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Iran's leader has been clear and unambiguous:
> > > they want to wipe Israel and its Jews off the
> > > face of the Earth.
> >
> > Actually, no, he hasn't.
> >
> > That's the meme that's been going around,
> > but it's inaccurate; what he said was *not*
> > clear and unambiguous by any means.  The way
> > it was translated made it *seem* to be what
> > he was clearly saying, but according to at
> > least one expert, he was actually expressing
> > his hope for the fall of the current Israeli
> > government.  He was alluding to a metaphor
> > that had previously been used by Khomeini
> > (which Iranians would quickly recognize), and
> > it was translated as if he'd meant it literally.
> >
> > It was one of those complicated linguistic
> > and cultural misunderstandings, and it's been
> > exploited to demonize Ahmadinejad.
> >
> > (And no, Shemp, I'm not suggesting he's a
> > peaceful humanitarian who wants nothing but
> > the best for Israel.)
> >

> Is there no bottom to the abysss you jumped in all these postings
> ago?
>
> Readers of this post are hereby advised to see for themselves:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/weekinreview/30iran.html?
ex=1155182400&en=d5c5b1bf1f238e6d&ei=5070

> Here's an excerpt:

(This is *the* excerpt, BTW, the one that started the
meme.)

> <quote>Our dear Imam said that the occupying regime must be wiped
> off the map and this was a very wise statement. We cannot
> compromise over the issue of Palestine. Is it possible to create a
> new front in the heart of an old front. This would be a defeat and
> whoever accepts the legitimacy of this regime [Israel] has in fact,
> signed the defeat of the Islamic world. Our dear Imam targeted the
> heart of the world oppressor in his struggle, meaning the occupying
> regime. I have no doubt that the new wave that has started in
> Palestine, and we witness it in the Islamic world too, will
> eliminate this disgraceful stain from the Islamic world.</quote>
>
> Judith - learn to read.

Hilarious.  After either failing to read or failing
to comprehend what I wrote, Shemp tells *me* to learn
to read.

Shemp, what words in "The way it was translated made
it *seem* to be what he was clearly saying" do you not
understand?

Or did you perhaps think he was speaking English to
start with?

You do this to yourself *all the time*.

Now look at the quote, where he refers to "the
occupying regime."  What words in "he was actually
expressing his hope for the fall of the current
Israeli government" did you not understand?

The translator's bracketed interpolation "[Israel]"
is not accurate.  He's talking about the *government*,
not the country, not the Jews.

Finally, "wiped off the map," the crucial phrase that
started the meme, is a mistranslation of Khomeini's
metaphor; that idiom doesn't even exist in Persian.
A closer translation would be "must vanish from the
page of time"--very abstract, not a threat, not
referring to violence, but rather to the idea that
nothing--in this case, the oppression of Palestinians
specifically--is permanent.

Shemp, it would make sense for you to challenge what
I wrote and demand that I defend it.  It makes no
sense at all for you to dismiss what I wrote as
"falling into the abyss" *without even having read it*.