> In a message dated 8/11/06 12:29:04 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> a  message dated 8/10/06 6:00:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> > sparaig@  writes:
> >
> > Prediction: there will be more outrage over this than  over the Chinese
> > practice of throwing
> > female infants out  with the trash...
> >

> > I thought they  just aborted them
> >

> It's pretty high-tech to be able to tell the  sex of an unborn.
>

> Is there some reason Chinese wouldn't have that  tech? India does.  India has
> the same problem of women getting ultra sound and aborting female  fetuses,
> but of course, it's a woman's right to choose. Women in those societies  want
> sons  that will be able to take care of them in their old age.

???You think that women don't take care of their moms?

< But  I would
> imagine in those cultures there probably some low tech ways of telling  if a
> fetus is male or female, astrology, holding a pendulum over the  abdomen  and
> watching which way it swings, reading tea leaves or  palms.

Sigh. Ultrasound is an expensive procedure for someone living in a 3rd world
village and
even in China, its not something that everyone could afford to do, I'm
guessing. Even in
the USA, you have to have big bucks (relatively speaking) or insurance or a
charity
insitutite in order to get proper unborn health care and not everyone has
access to that.