On Aug 12, 2006, at 2:07 PM, authfriend wrote:

Abandon the female kids, I assume you mean, right?

Right.

Like I said, it's a complex problem. This just adds
another layer of complexity. I don't think the
solution is to continue to allow women to abort
females selectively, do you?

Yes, it beats them having the babies and then letting them starve or fend for themselves in understaffed, overcrowded orphanages where many will die anyway.

And "continue to allow" implies a superiority of judgment neither you nor I nor anyone who isn't there is in a position to make. It implies that you know better. The pressure to raise sons in Chinese culture is immense. And with the one-child-per-family policy they've had for the past few decades, many women there are put in an absolutely horrendous position. Besides, I'm not really sure what I see as the difference between selective abortion (my term) and any other kind? It's all selective. Yes, there will be many and varied long-term consequences of this--many villages in China are feeling it already, as men grow up there and there are no women their age to marry--but apart from having some unmarried men, I'm not sure that's really a problem. And it sure isn't a problem compared to children dying in droves, which is what is happening now.

US is not a great solution, but it is, IMO, the lesser of two evils given the Chinese government''s policy. What would you suggest in its place? There aren't near enough interested families to adopt all the children in China who need it.

Sal

No, I'm advocating not letting women use it to
selectively abort females (in other words, I'm
advocating not telling them what the ultrasound
reveals about the sex of the fetus).

Then what would be the point of the US?

Sal