[MDixon wrote:]
> > All the programs the Bush  Administration was using like the NSA
> > and Banking program of following money transactions were used
> > in Great Britain to bust them.
>
> You know all these  details?
>
> No, not all. But these were covered yesterday on many different
> news  stories on NBC, CNBC, CNN, and FOX. The British had been
> watching these 24 and I think they said others for quite some time
> and they had been using the same program the NSA has been running
> and also observing their banking transactions between Great Britain
> and Pakistan and some other countries. The United States had
> offered the British information on this group in the past two weeks
> also. I'm just glad the New York Times didn't hear about this
> before the  bust.

An update on this.  According to a story in today's
Washington Post, neither the Brits nor the Americans
utilized a warrantless wiretapping program to track
down the terrorist plotters:

http://tinyurl.com/o2p2e

So all the right-wing ranting and raving about how
these arrests showed that warrantless wiretrapping
was essential to prevent terrorist attacks was a
complete crock: we do NOT have to choose between the
rule of law and fighting terrorism.  We do NOT have
to give the executive unlimited, unrestrained power
in order to be protected.

The arrests also explode another right-wing myth,
that what the Times revealed about the warrantless
eavesdropping program damaged national security
by letting terrorists know they were being
surveilled, and that they would immediately change
the way they communicated so they couldn't be
detected.

And once again, just for the record: Republican
attempts to mislead and deceive the voters
notwithstanding, Democrats do NOT oppose secret
wiretapping or money-tracking in the interests of
national security.  To the contrary, they *advocate*
these measures as long as there is oversight--as
there was in the case of the British bombers.