> On Aug 12, 2006, at 7:54 PM, authfriend wrote:
>
> > I thought you didn't get his posts.
>
> I read them in *your* posts and those of others, Judy, geez--don't
> you read your own posts? How am I supposed to avoid them there?
> Stop quoting him and there would be a lot less of a problem.

Well, heck, maybe you should just stop reading
the posts of everyone who quotes Lawson's posts,
since his seem to be such a terrible problem for
you.

> > Or do you only get the ones you can
> > contradict?
>
> Yeah, that's the ticket...pull another of your let's-start-an-
> argument stunts.

Just a comment on the nitwittery of killfiling.

> It says there's a *lot* of exceptions, actually.
> Turns out to be nowhere near as draconian as we
> had been imagining.
>
> Which was not the main issue, of course--the cultural preference
> for girls

(You mean boys, I think.)

 was, and it's *especially* noticeable in many rural
> areas, in which apparently somewhat larger families are allowed.
> Even so, in many villages boys still outnumber girls supposedly by
> 4 to 1.

Don't know about that statistic.  In one recent
census, the proportion of males to females throughout
China was 106:100.  The "natural" proportion in
China is 104:100.  It adds up, certainly, over a
billion people, but it's not as bad as I had been
imagining.  And the excess of males is going down.

In any case, in this discussion you really can't
isolate any specific issue; they all affect each
other.

> > In any case, you seem not to have received
> > either of the two posts in which he acknowledged
> > he had been mistaken about the policy being
> > abandoned.
> >
> > One good reason not to killfile people, BTW.
> > You can end up with a lot of egg on your face.
>
> Somehow I'll manage to live with it.

I imagine you've had quite a bit of experience.