The practice is called Atma Vichara. Placing the
awareness on the subjective experience of "me". This
"me" is called the "I"-thought: the foundation of
ignorance. Initially, the mind can have a hard time
holding onto this. All types of vrittis of the chitta
come and pull the attention off. One way to redirect
the attention back to the "I"-thought is to ask "Who
had this thought?" or sometimes just "Who?" Placing
the attention on the "I" thought will eventually bring
about its transcendance into Self. In CC when you try
to subjectively locate that sense of "me" it's not
there-just infinite emptiness. There is no
self-referential me that can be located. Initially a
little spooky for the mind!