"Elsewhere across the state, Jim Rubis of Fairfield was fighting a
similar battle along with friends who formed Jefferson County
Farmers and Neighbors Inc. Ditto for hundreds of people who live in
the Clear Lake area.

The Dickinson County confinement opponents were prepared to sue to
stop a New Fashion Pork development four miles west of West Okoboji
Lake. They didn't have to, but they continue to burn up e-mail
servers with plans to fight for county zoning of hog confinements
and other livestock operations.

The Okobojians teamed with residents of Fairfield and Clear Lake -
and other spots around Iowa - to form the Iowa Network for Local
Control, which is raising $200,000 for lobbying and legal fees.

Koepp told state lawmakers at a rules committee hearing last week
that lake residents and visitors caught off guard by the latest
confinement proposal now know that the current regulations favor the
livestock industry, not confinement critics.

"It's apparent we are getting the short end of the stick," Koepp
said. "You need to enter into a serious dialogue on this in the next
Legislature."

Rubis last week told lawmakers that his group collected 2,000
signatures in a county of 16,000, in two days, supporting local
control.

"We were told by legislators there was no interest in doing this,"
Rubis said. The group collected 700 letters in support, then began
quietly lobbying. "There IS interest," he added.

Murphy, who lives near the Iowa Great Lakes and just south of land
eyed for the now-shelved confinement, told lawmakers, "I would plead
with you to do the will of the people. Agricultural interests are
running this state and we need some balance."

The network's idea: Let counties zone hog confinements, as they
would other businesses that have steady emissions.

The chances of the group succeeding: Unknown. However, lawmakers
have steadfastly refused such an action, and have voted several
times to make even clearer the state's control over livestock.

Last week, the Iowa Administrative Rules Review Committee let stand
a new rule that will give Jeff Vonk, director of the Iowa Department
of Natural Resources, the power to consider a wider range of
environmental factors before approving new livestock operations.
However, the panel also formally objected to the rule - basically
declaring it illegal and inviting a legal challenge. The Iowa Farm
Bureau Federation said it would watch the DNR's actions for a while
before deciding whether to sue."

http://tinyurl.com/rmfbo