--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I like that Schweizer Psalm, too. Anybody know
> what that is? The iTunes Music Store turned up
> nothing under that name.

Switzerland
"Schweizer Psalm" (Swiss Psalm)

Words by: Leonhard Widmer (German), Charles Chatelanat (French),
Camillo Valsangiacomo (Italian), Gion Antoni Bühler (Ladinish), and
Alfons Tuor (Surselvish)
Music by: Alberik Zwyssig
In use since: 1961, adopted 1981

In the summer of 1841, Alberik Zwyssig received a piece of mail from
Leonhard Widmer, a music publisher, journalist and lyricist from
Zurich. The mail contained a patriotic poem that Widmer had written
and wanted set to music. Zwyssig chose to use a hymn that he had
composed to the psalm "Diligam te Domine" (I will love Thee, O Lord)
for an ordination service in 1835 when he was music director at the
monastery in Wettingen. On November 22, 1841, Zwyssig rehearsed
his "Schweizerpsalm" (Swiss Psalm) for the first time with four
residents of Zug. The song turned out to be very popular in several
Swiss cantons, and numerous attempts were made between 1894 and 1953
to have it declared the Swiss national anthem, but they were
consistently turned down by the Swiss government for the reason that
a national anthem should not be selected by government decree but by
popular opinion.

It was due to the fact that the anthem in use at the time had the
same melody as the British anthem, that the Swiss government declared
the "Swiss Psalm", a fully and unmistakably Swiss creation, the
provisional Swiss national anthem in 1961, the provisional clause was
abandoned in 1975, but without official ratification as the national
anthem. A number of other suggestions for a national anthem were made
in the years that followed, none of which, however, earned nearly as
many votes as the "Swiss Psalm". Finally, on April 1, 1981,
the "Swiss Psalm" was officially declared the Swiss national
anthem, "a purely Swiss song, dignified and ceremonial, the kind of
national anthem that the majority of our citizens would like to have."

http://david.national-anthems.net/ch.htm