> In a message dated 8/20/06 10:45:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Well,  yeah, but at least he would be obeying the  law....
>
> You don't know that he isn't. You have the opinion of one very
> liberal  judge playing politics with the matter.

Oh, wait, I thought it was *liberals* who were going
to be accusing judges of playing politics, and here
it's the right-winger!

Actually, of course, there's a significant bunch of
legal experts, not all of them liberals by any means,
who believe he's breaking the law.  Even some who are
among the few real conservatives left (you know, the
ones who are big on civil liberties).

Former Georgia Republican Congressman Bob Barr,
for instance, writing in the Atlanta Journal
Constitution back in December of last year:

President Bush responded to a question at a White House news
conference about what now appears to be a clear violation of federal
electronic monitoring laws by trying to argue that he had not ordered
the National Security Agency to "monitor" phone and e-mail
communications of American citizens without court order; he had
merely ordered them to "detect" improper communications.

This example of presidential phrase parsing was followed quickly by
the president's press secretary, Scott McLellan, dead-panning to
reporters that when Bush said a couple of years ago that he would
never allow the NSA to monitor Americans without a court order, what
he really meant was something different than what he actually
said. . .

By using the White House counsel's office to bury investigators in a
sea of motions, pleadings and memoranda, an administration can drag
out an investigation to the point of exhaustion. By the time the
investigation actually slogs through this legal maze to bring real
charges or issue a report, the courts, public and media are so sick
and tired of hearing about it that the final charges fall stillborn
from the press.

A critical component of White House Scandal Defense 101 is rallying
the partisan base. This keeps approval ratings in territory where the
wheels don't start falling off. The way to achieve this goal is you
go negative and you don't let up. If you're always attacking your
accusers, the debate becomes one of Democrat vs. Republican, rather
than right vs. wrong. Anyone who questions the legality of the
decision to wiretap thousands of Americans unlawfully is attacked, as
either an enabler of terrorists or a bitter partisan trying to
distract a president at war.

http://tinyurl.com/fyb8g