On Aug 23, 2006, at 8:17 AM, authfriend wrote:

>> -- It's a power trip.  And I don't think getting involved
>> in that kind of game is healthy.
>
> That's just paranoid, Sal.  The TMO has always been on
> a power trip, but SS#s aren't an example, *except* to
> verify that one is qualified to go on particular
> courses and so on, and they could certainly check that
> just by using names and dates, although with more difficulty
> and more possibility of error.  I haven't gone on a course
> in a while, so I don't know if they're still doing this,
> but they also used to ask for the name of your initiator
> when you applied for a course.  That was another way of
> checking to make sure you had actually learned TM.

Come off it, Judy.  I'd be amazed if they had records going back a few
years, much less when someone learned TM.  The bit about the teacher's
name is just more TMO silliness, as anyone could have made up a name.
Tell you what...next time you apply for a course, make up some name to
put in the initiator's blank, and see what happens--I'll bet nothing.
(The name, of course, would have to be something that doesn't call
attention to itself, could even be the name of an initiator, just not
*your* initiator.)

> In other words, unless they were to ask for no personal
> information at all, the "intimidation" you're imagining
> would still be a factor.  The only thing about SS#s is
> that they're a very efficient means of identification.
>
>> And another point--usually when an organization asks you for one,
>> that's it.  They don't keep asking you every single time.
>
> Sure they do, in many circumstances, as a way of verifying
> you're who you say you are.  An SS# is sort of like a
> password.

"Sort of like"? I must have missed the secret handshake.

>   These idiots
>> just want you to know they've got something on you--again and again.
>
> Got WHAT on you??
>
>>> And again, see the AARP link, which explains why
>>> SS#s are routinely used for identification.
>>
>> I didn't see any link.
>
> There's been a lot of posting delays these days.  I
> made the AARP post before I made the one saying to
> see the AARP link, but it just appeared this morning.

> -
>>>
>>> Of course.  But that's not why the TMO is asking for
>>> them, obviously.
>>
>> OK, why are they asking for them then?
>
> AS A MEANS OF IDENTIFICATION.  Sheesh!  Same
> reason so many other institutions have used them.

And a photo ID would do just as well, same reason so many other
organizations have used *them.*  Sheesh.  (Actually, your word
"institution" to describe the TMO, is a much better one, for obvious
reasons.  You hit the mark.)

>>> Not everyone in the TMO is necessarily an upstanding
>>> citizen, first of all.  Some lower-level administrative
>>> person with financial needs and no scruples might have
>>> access to a list of SS#s and get ideas.  Lists of SS#s
>>> are worth big bucks in the identity theft market.  You
>>> can sell them to brokers, who then sell them to
>>> individuals who commit the actual identity theft.
>>>
>>> Second, there are any number of ways the numbers could
>>> get to non-TMO people.  Someone could walk in a door
>>> left unlocked and steal the records; some nitwit TMer
>>> could throw a batch of unneeded printouts in the trash;
>>> a janitor could find the records sitting on someone's
>>> desk; a hacker could break into the computer system if
>>> it weren't secured properly, etc., etc., etc.
>>>
>>> This is why you don't want to have to give out your
>>> SS# if you can possibly avoid it--because they're
>>> *worth lots of money*, and even an organization
>>> with the most spotless motives can be careless about
>>> how they're handled.
>>>
>>> Knowing the level of disorganization and general
>>> incompetence in the TMO, I simply wouldn't trust them
>>> to keep the numbers secure.
>>
>> That's my point exactly.  Whether it's directly by someone with
>> some nefarious intent, or simply because some idiot gets careless,
>> you would not trust the TMO with potentially sensitive
>> information.
>
> Once again: So they're trying to intimidate people by
> suggesting that people with nefarious intent will get
> hold of your SS# and commit identity theft because
> the TMO is riddled with careless idiots?

No, that was your point--I said they did it for intimidation.  But I
certainly agree with anyone who says the TMO is filled with a bunch of
careless idiots--works for me. :)