quoted Mark Morford, who said many wise things, the wisest
being:

> Or you can easily argue that we are discovering shocking
> new wonders every day but we have merely lost the ability
> to be surprised, that given our media and our movies and
> our terrific level of sad jaded ennui, nothing short of
> giant amorphous aliens landing here in vagina-shaped
> spacecraft and declaring the disastrous experiment over
> and ushering everyone back into the jar would shake us
> from our intellectual and spiritual lethargy.
> . . .
>
> Maybe the dolphins already know. But we just haven't
> learned to listen.

Mark, in his usual funny way, nails the same issue
I noticed when "catching up" with a few weeks of
FFL. One of the phrases that struck me while doing
this was, "Fairfield Life seems to be the kind of
place where people come to talk about the spiritual
experiences of others when they're not having any
of their own."

So many people are searching for something *flashy*,
something extraordinary that will shake them out
of the boredom of their lives. Crop circles, "true"
levitation, golden glowing visions of Brahman
dancing a jig, saviors showing up and speaking
all the languages of Earth at once as they tell
us what to do and how to do it.

In other words, childish fantasies along the lines
of waiting with 'bated breath for the next Star Wars
movies so that the special effects can take us out
of ourselves for a couple of hours, and we don't
have to remember that most of the other hours have
been pretty boring, because *we* have grown boring,
because *we* have grown bored.

I'd suspect that the great revelation Mark is talk-
ing about will be far more individual, and far more
Zen. It'll consist of people finally noticing the
wonder of breathing in and breathing out, and of
the sound of the wind in the trees, and the way light
dances on the surface of water as they walk along a
river. It'll involve an appreciation of the sound of
children's laughter and our own laughter, not some
big booming Maitreya-voice from the sky telling us
more stuff to convince us that we "know" things.

Face it -- the more you think you know, the less
you actually do. And the more convinced you are that
you've got a handle on "Truth," the more bored you
become *because* you think you've got things all
scoped out. Zen -- an openness to the wonder of the
everyday -- seems to me to be the way to go, clinging
to nothing, open to everything as a source of wonder,
not just the "special effects" of life.