I guess my questions for the group as a whole are:

1. *Is* it important to you to believe that Maharishi
was/is enlightened?

At the time, I think it made me feel really special that *I* was so
special as to have found a great teacher. Personally, I think the
mystical aura Mahesh cultivated around himself, quite intentionally,
both stroked his ego and enhances his marketability.

2. If so, *why*?

As above.

3. What *difference* do you think that would have
made in his ability to teach you what you have
learned from him?

That's a matter of what I know now, isn't it. I really admired the
compelling structure, uniformity and graspableness of the way he
taught.

***

With respect to what you say below, I kind of agree. It's one thing
to know your stuff, it's another to let it ripen (and I am talking
about this business of spiritual stuff we perceive in what little we
know of Guru Dev). Without being "established" in that purity of the
perfectly controlled ego, the teacher is always at great risk. Mahesh
may indeed have felt he had fooled Guru Dev (oh, see how absolutely
devoted I am to you! I am so wonderful.) But I suspect Guru Dev could
see through the devotion or at least the appearance of the great
actor playing god and perceive the risky business of the ego beneath
that.

It's good to hear what Sattyanand had to say. He was there. He
certainly knew. If only someone could have interviewed him the way
Mahesh interviewed people: picked their brains and got everything.