Guru Dev speaks about who and who cannot become gurus, and the
following are translated extracts of satsang number 74 of 108,
included in a collection of his teachings entitled 'Shri
Shankaracharya UpadeshAmrita'

'There is no mention of women being gurus anywhere in the shastras.
Women cannot be a guru. Gargim, Chudala, Sulabha etc. were women who
had become yogis and possessed of self-knowledge. But it is not met
with anywhere that they made their own disciples.'

'...But not everyone can be a guru. Actually, only brahmans to be in
the position of guru. In addition to brahmans, kshatriyas, vaishya,
shudras can become shishya (disciples), but not guru. Women also have
no right to be made a guru.'
'Nowadays kaayastha, vaishya, teli (oilman), and also kalavar (seller
of spirits) are taking to wearing the colours of the sadhu (holy man)
and are eagerly wishing to make shishya (disciples) of their own.
Actually both this kind of guru and shishya (disciple) are to get
their downfall. Actually this speech we are saying coincides with the
shastras, it is not something of my own that I have made up.'

Jai Guru Dev
Paul