On Sep 3, 2006, at 10:35 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 2, 2006, at 7:31 PM, bob_brigante wrote:
>>
>>> So you are claiming that although MMY left India and taught
>>> you and millions of other Westerners TM, a practice which
>>> you say "brings the light," and which practice you say you
>>> have practiced for 30 years, you do not regard discomfort
>>> around MMY -- the man responsible for teaching you this
>>> wonderful technique that you have been practicing for 30
>>> years (!) -- as demonstrating a deficiency in you rather than
>>> MMY?
>>
>> Bob, JOOC, why is it always necessary to find "fault" with
>> what someone else has said WRT MMY, when it's something you
>> apparently don't like? Why not just accept that that was
>> that person's experience, (not yours) and move on?  Why the
>> constant need to force explanations?  Move on already.
>
> Just FYI, Sal, this is Eric Hoffer's #1 criterion
> for True Believers as he defines them. (Since he
> invented the term, IMO his definition is probably
> worth paying attention to.)
>
> This criterion is defined as the person who reacts
> negatively or angrily to anyone who doesn't treat
> the leader of his particular mass movement "the
> way he should." That is, if the followers of the
> leader of the mass movement believe that the leader
> should be treated as superhuman or godlike, they
> would *also* tend to believe that anyone who does
> *not* treat the leader as godlike is attacking or
> dissing him. If the leader is, say, a political
> leader and his followers treat him by saluting him
> in a certain way (think Sieg Heil!), then anyone
> who does *not* salute the leader that way (even
> if their local customs or religionf forbid it) is
> perceived as being disrespectful to the political
> leader and often a traitor to the country.

Yep, and I think it becomes personal, too, in that the followers than
perceive the other person's lack of appropriate motions as being
disrespectful of themselves (the followers) and after a while the
teacher or leader has all but been forgotten, as it becomes more and
more a battle of wills.  Like MMY says, it's all self-referral. :)

Sal