> Robert Gimbel wrote:
>
> >A couple of years ago, I remember watching, 'The Today Show';
> >  And I was noticing how spontaneous, and focused Katie Couric
seemed to be.
> >  I was even noticing the possibility that she was experiencing
enlightenment;
> >  In noticing how she would phrase things, as though she
was 'witnessing'.
> >  It was just my feeling at the time; but it would be interesting
to have an;
> >  Enlightened Newscaster who is as big as it gets in the news
business.
> >  Good Luck Sri Kai-tee...
> >The CBS EVENING NEWS WITH KATIE COURIC debuts Tuesday, Sept. 5
(6:30-7:00 PM, ET/PT).

> I was always funny in the movement when so many of the meditators
saw
> someone who was bright, articulate, and had rose to a high place
think
> that person was enlightened.  But you should have learned by now
not to
> base such judgments on enlightenment on such external qualities.
About
> 20% of the population are fairly bright but I wouldn't say they are
> enlightened.  I have certainly met many people who were bright and
> articulate but clueless about the subject of transcendence and
higher
> states of consciousness.  They were still superficial about life in
> general.  However they might show an interest in higher states of
> consciousness even admitting "I've always wanted to learn more
about that."

On the other hand, I think we are programmed to think that only
a 'Guru' type could be enlightened, and not someone who is an
ordinary part of society;
This I feel is wrong:
I was making this comment based on my own experience, not so much
about how 'bright or clever she is;
But rather a depth, since the death of her husband, and a certain
feeling of compassion that she eminates.
I think it would be good for all of us, to start recognizing everyday
people exibiting signs of enlightenment, if not fully established,
than at least that it won't be like times past, where the enlighened
ones were few and far between.
R.G.