> In a message dated 9/9/06 4:26:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> CBS I'm sure, made a business decision. They were
> > about to offend  an entire nation, one that had voted Ronald
> Reagan, America's most popular president

<snip statistics documenting Clinton's poll numbers
were consistently better than Reagan's>
<snip>
> You should have  resisted the temptation to rise to
> the bait.
>
> Mind-boggling. This is  what a *real* True Believer
> looks like.
>
> _BBC NEWS |  Americas | Reagan voted 'greatest American'_
> (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4631421.stm)   Quite
> frankly I remember  the program this television poll was
> based on and remember voting in it.

BWAHAHA!!!

Let's look at MDixon's claim again:

> [CBS was] about to offend an entire nation, one
> that had voted Ronald Reagan, America's most
> popular president.

This was a "poll" in which TV viewers were asked to
call or email or write in with their preference--in
other words, a self-selected sample, not a
scientific poll.

And it was for "greatest American," not "greatest
American president."

Reagan "narrowly edged out" Lincoln and Martin
Luther King.  He didn't even get a *majority*
of those who stated their preference, let alone
"the entire nation."

And--this is the real kicker--the "poll" was
conducted *after his death*, three years after
the CBS movie incident.

> Another  consideration
> CBS made when deciding to pull the Ronald Reagan
> movie was the fact that it was full of personal
> attacks against the man and he was on his death
> bed unable to defend himself. This was the main
> reason for the public outcry against the movie,
> Where as the ABC  movie The Path to 911 deals
> with Clinton policy.

Uh-huh, right.  That *misrepresents* Clinton policy
and claims he was too busy dealing with the Monica
Lewinsky scandal to go after the terrorists, blaming
him for the deaths of 3,000 people.  No personal
attacks there, nosireebob.

> By the way, as I recall Clinton never got or just
> barely got 50 % of the total vote cast in either of
> his elections where as  Reagan was elected by very
> strong margins each  time.

Irrelevant to your erroneous claim, but just for the
heck of it: Clinton won only 43 percent of the popular
vote in 1992 because Perot was running as a third-party
candidate and got 19 percent of the vote.

In 1996, Clinton got 49.2 percent of the popular vote
and Perot got 8.4 percent.

In neither of Reagan's elections was there a strong
third-party candidate.

MDixon, you shoulda stood in bed.