The problem goes back to the Constitution. In my
state of Massachusetts, the democrat always easily
wins all of the state's electoral votes. I believe
there is only once instance in my lifetime where that
did not happen, when Reagan carried the vote. This
takes away the incentive for republicans to vote in
this state, and is a factor in more states than not.