> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, wmurphy77 <no_reply@>
wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
> <shempmcgurk@>

> > come
> India
> > end
> > illumination.

> > Tom,
> > > that
> those
> > > who
> > > guru

> > yet

> > > I'm not sure Shemp, sometimes I feel a personal Guru might be
> > > necessary and sometimes not! Why is it though, Shemp, all well
> > known
> > > Saints....had Gurus?
> > > >

> > I don't know.
> >
> > But MMY says that all that is needed is TM.
> >
> > That's why I see a dilemma for True Believers in this area: if
they
> > feel they need to do MORE than TM and take MMY as their personal
> > guru, then they are implicitly admitting that TM by itself is
not
> > enough.
> >
> > But if they do that, then they are spitting in the very face of
the
> > very guru they have taken on because that guru has told them
that
> > they do NOT need a guru to get full enlightenment.
> >
> > Quit a little conundrum...
>
> A very interesting conundrum, Shemp. It is good you have pointed
this
> out.
>
> I think that although TM is a very basic calming technique, a
> somewhat refined but common manasika-japa, it could be enough if,
IF,
> the teaching that went with it were actually directed at freeiing
the
> individual from the guru.
>
> But Mahesh's teaching increasingly leads to further and further
> dependence upon the guru/Mahesh. You have to buy more and more.
The
> guru's teaching, Maheshism, is based on greed, *the mind goes in
the
> direction of more and more*.
>
> Greed will not free anyone from anything, it will only increase
> dependence on the guru or whoever/whatever is supplying more!
There's
> an interesting "pointing out" instruction in one of Ken Wilber's
> books. I have forgotten which one, but if I can find it, I'll post
it.

> Quite simply KW shows how you can be completely self sufficient
(look
> how Mahesh made a buck on that one and the 108's) and not need the
> guru. It isn't as easy as depending on Mahesh to give you what he
> thinks you need (which is another way of saying "as easy for
Mahesh
> to take what he wants from you"). But with KW's pointing out
> instructions you can confidently go from tescher to teacher
learning
> more and more and not get hooked on giving more and more and
having
> little or nothing for yourself but the paranoia that you might not
> get anything if you don't try to buy it all.
>
> Thanks Shemp.

I may be pollyanna-ish about this but I truly am convinced that TM
is all that is needed...AND I believe it's the fastest most
effective way to enlightenment. And let me reiterate: I am referring
to that first technique we all got for $35.00 back in '73 when we
had long hair and bell bottoms.

Me -- a snot-nosed 18-year-old into every vice available to his
immature materialistic-infested life -- shelled out 35 Canadian
bucks and the cost of 6 flowers, two fruit, and a goddamn hanky and
a month later I experienced pure consciousness...something that
millions of yogis and assorted saddhu types spend lifetimes and
paperweights dangling from their penises trying to achieve.

And I got it without any effort and the price of, at the time, about
5 medium pepperoni pizzas.

All the rest of the current TMO offerings is fluff and money-
making...stuff that's probably necessary if you're running a multi-
national operation but has nothing to do with transcending OR the TM
Program.

And MMY can, ethically, always fall back on the disclaimer he gave
us all in the first 5 minutes of the first step of the 7-step
program to learning TM: it's not a religion or a philosophy...it's a
do-it-yourself program that doesn't require belief or any other
additions.

Anyone that deviates from that A-in-AGNI-like first utterance of
official declaration by the TMO can't blame anyone when they
discover they've wasted thousands of dollars and thousands of hours
rubbing sesame oil on their bald heads and getting Jyotish advice
from some dhoti-wearing, amoeba-dysenteric Dravidian who Maharishi
hired off the streets of some God-forsaken Indian ghetto.

Suckers!  I told you in the first five minutes that you didn't need
any of that other shit!  Did you think I was lying?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: