The Pope must die, says Muslim
18.09.06

 A notorious Muslim extremist told a demonstration in London
yesterday that the Pope should face execution.

Anjem Choudary said those who insulted Islam would be "subject to
capital punishment".

Should the Pope have apologised for his remarks? Vote here

His remarks came during a protest outside Westminster Cathedral on a
day that worldwide anger among Muslim hardliners towards Pope
Benedict XVI appeared to deepen.

The pontiff yesterday apologised for causing offence during a
lecture last week. Quoting a medieval emperor, his words were taken
to mean that he called the prophet Mohammed "evil and inhuman".

He insisted he was "deeply sorry" but his humbling words did not go
far enough to silence all his critics or quell the violence and
anger he has triggered.

A nun was shot dead in Somalia by Islamic gunmen and churches came
under attack in Palestine.

Choudary's appeal for the death of Pope Benedict was the second time
he has been linked with apparent incitement to murder within a year.

The 39-year-old lawyer organised

demonstrations against the publication of cartoons of Mohammed in
February in Denmark. Protesters carried placards declaring "Behead
Those Who Insult Islam".

Yesterday he said: "The Muslims take their religion very seriously
and non-Muslims must appreciate that and that must also understand
that there may be serious consequences if you insult Islam and the
prophet.

"Whoever insults the message of Mohammed is going to be subject to
capital punishment."

He added: "I am here have a peaceful demonstration. But there may be
people in Italy or other parts of the world who would carry that
out.

"I think that warning needs to be understood by all people who want
to insult Islam and want to insult the prophet of Islam."

As well as placards attacking the Pope such as "Pope go to Hell",
his followers outside the country's principal Roman Catholic church
also waved slogans aimed at offending the sentiments of Christians
such as "Jesus is the slave of Allah".

A Scotland Yard spokesman said of his comments: "We have had no
complaints about this. There were around 100 people at the
demonstration. It passed off peacefully and there were no arrests."

Larger Islamic groups in Britain said they accepted the Pope's
apology. Inayat Bunglawala of the Muslim Council of Britain
said: "The Vatican has moved quickly to deal with the hurt and we
accept that.

"It was something that should never have happened - words of that
nature were always likely to cause dismay - and we believe some of
the Pope's advisers may have been at fault over his speech."

Yesterday's sermon by the Pope was the first time a pontiff has
publicly said sorry.

He said he regretted Muslim reaction to his speech and stressed that
the quotation did not reflect his personal opinion. Anger and
violence - including attacks on seven churches in the West Bank and
Gaza - have characterised one of the biggest international crises
involving the Vatican in decades.

The Pope appeared determined to move quickly to try to defuse the
anger but the fury of many radicals was unabated last night and
there were fears for his safety.

Iraqi jihadists issued a video of a scimitar slicing a cross in two,
intercut with images of Benedict and the burning Twin Towers.

The website run in the name of the Mujahedeen Army, used by
extremist groups who have claimed responsibility for attacks in
Iraq, was addressed to "You dog of Rome" and threatened to "shake
your thrones and break your crosses in your home".

In a reference to suicide bombing, it said: "We swear to God to send
you people who adore death as much as you adore life."

The threat of violence against Catholics and Christians was
emphasised by the murder of an Italian nun in Somalia. Sister
Leonella, 66, was shot as she walked from the children's hospital
where she worked to her house in Mogadishu, a city recently taken
over by an Islamic government.

A Vatican spokesman said he feared her death was "the fruit of
violence and irrationality arising from the current situation".

Father Frederico Lombardi said he hoped it was an isolated
event. "We are worried about this wave of hatred and hope it doesn't
have any grave consequences for the Church around the world," he
said.

The murder suggested that extremists are determined to use the
Pope's embarrassment as an excuse for violence.

In Turkey, state minister Mehmet Aydin said the Pope seemed to be
saying he was sorry for the outrage but not necessarily for his
remarks.

"You either have to say this, 'I'm sorry' in a proper way or not say
it at all," he told reporters in Istanbul.

There were fierce denunciations of the pontiff from Iran. The
English-language Tehran Times called his lecture in Bavaria last
week "code words for a new crusade".

The powerful cleric Ahmad Khatami told theological students in the
holy city of Qom: The "Pope should fall on his knees in front of a
senior Muslim cleric and try to understand Islam."

But the Turkish government signalled it was content and that the
Pope's visit to the country in November can go ahead.

In his sermon yesterday at the Papal summer residence of Castel
Gandolfo outside Rome, Benedict spoke amid strengthened security.

He said: "I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a
few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which
were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims.

"These in fact were a quotation from a medieval text, which do not
in any way express my personal thought. I hope this serves to
appease hearts and to clarify the true meaning of my address."

No other Pope is thought to have made such an apology.

Reader views (11) Add your view | Show all

Here's a sample of the latest views published. You can click view
all to read all views that readers have sent in.

Why should the pope say sorry hes done nothing wrong. Spare a
thought for the poor nun who has been murdered in Somalia her only
crime was to be a catholic. She devoted her life to helping people.

- Derek Griffin, Dagenham

Incitement to commit murder is a serious offence. I hope this man is
arrested forthwith.

- Liz, Lincoln

Why on earth should the Pope apologise - he was quoting a medieval
text. If a historian quotes Hitler, that doesn't mean that he
supports those views himself. Any extremists, of any religion, who
incite hatred and violence should be jailed. If they have moved here
from another country they should be made to return. We should not
tolerate such behaviour any longer in our midst.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: