My experience and perception in and of the movement (early to late
70's) mirrors New Morning's.  However, I didn't rise to any position
of power or influence within the movement beyond center chair in a
couple of different cities, so some of the organizational shenanigans
that Turq refers to weren't part of my experience.  When Jerry was
effectively retired from the movement a great anchor of integrity was
lost.

**
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > Other teachers of TM want to weigh in? Were you taught to lie?
>
> I missed that seesion, I guess. :)
>
> I can address TTC's and general practice in centers in the early
70's.
> A period when many of us, not all, were taught to teach TM. It was
my
> experience that were were not taught to lie.  In fact, i think the
> popularity of SIMS in that period was due to an abundance of bright
> shiny faces speaking from the heart about how great this thing was.
An
> [...]
> the spinning of the TMO in the early 70's -- the era I am addressing
> -- then they must be totally floored, up in arms, and rioting in the
> streets regarding the far more heavy handed spinning, lying and
> distortions prevelant in almost every noon and cranny of modern
life.

> Where I think distortions did exist in that era, not conscious
deceit,
> was in teachers claiming or implying that there more was in the TM
> research than there was. I think was due to a lack of understanding
of
> the research and its limits. And youthful enthusiasm.
>
> When I started lecturing about the sidhis to many audiences, as part
> of the first wave of teams of governors, a different dynamic was
> happening. I cringe a bit at that era. Yet, I found a transcript
> recently of one of my lectures. It was quite craftily spun for a
> mid-20ish type. No lies. Just making the best case I could for the
> "unimaginable". I was not taught to do that. It just came out, was
> refined over time, lecture after lecture.
>
> Regarding Barry story of course credit, that is an organizational
> area, not something many teachers were involved in. And thus not
> relevant to a discussion claims that all TM teachers were taught to
> lie. However, sounds like 1976-7 that Barry is referring to. That
may
> have been when organizationally things began to go down hill. And
when
> many teachers began to leave due to the lack of organizational
> integrity. ATR credit being taken back, and all.
>
> But just up to that period, I saw a lot of integrity -- again I
credit
> Jerry. I was responsible for banking the course credit for 40+
people
> on a project in 1972. Everyone was able to use thier credit to my
> knowledge. And I cashed in mine for a course starting in spring
1976.
> Up to that period, the organization did not lie as far as saw.
>
> MIU pulled some fast ones in 1973-5, IMO, but thats another story.
>

> > Absolutely. About the contents of the puja, about
> > whether or not people were asked to kneel during
> > it, about the number of mantras and how they were
> > selected, and about certain "hot button" subjects
> > that were likely to come up in lectures or in
> > interviews. For the latter, we were taught "pat
> > answers" to use in each situation, answers that
> > in many cases we knew not to be true. We were also
> > taught things to say about other forms of meditation
> > (that most of us had never practiced) that were 1)
> > negative and 2) not true.
> >
> > But Sparaig won't believe this, and he similarly
> > won't believe any other TM teacher who chimes in
> > and answers his question with a hearty "Yes."
> > He's interested in perpetuating his fantasies that
> > what he was told was Truth, not in realizing that
> > many of the things he was told were calculated

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: