> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <no_reply@>
wrote:

> > more on the Pope's hypocrisy and stupidity:
> >
> > http://www.slate.com/id/2149863/nav/tap1/
> >

> Smartly done. If akk tge works to cite and all the words
> to quote from that specific work he chose, he chose those
> words from that book. They obviously reflect his own
> attitudes about Islam vs Christianity, no matter how
> hypocritical they may be.

A different view (and a far more thoughtful one than
that of Hitchens, IMHO, whether right or wrong), from
a diary on the blog DailyKos:

Manuel II spoke from the prejudices of his time and from the
limitations of his understanding when, in conversation with his
Muslim companion, he said "Show me just what Mohammed brought that
was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such
as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached".  In
quoting him, the Pope knew full well that this was a deeply flawed
conversation; he characterized Manuel's speech as "startlingly
brusque," which is just diplomacy-speak for "incredibly rude."

What is crucial to understand is that the Pope chose this
conversation not because of Manuel's flawed and bigoted view of
Islam, but precisely because --however flawed -- it was a
conversation.  The Pope chose to comment on an ancient conversation
between West and East precisely because the modern West, in his
estimation, *has lost the ability even to carry on this kind of
conversation*.

The Cardinal Ratzinger who struggled mightily to help the Catholic
Church come to terms with its violent past in 2000, now six years
later wants to help the West talk about violence again.  And he finds
that it is not the Muslims who cannot talk about it, *but
contemporary Western society* that cannot talk about it.

Why not?  Because contemporary Western society cannot do what Muslim
societies are able to do; contemporary Western culture cannot
reconcile *reason* with *faith*.  The Pope's speech at Regensberg was
an impassioned plea to the West to recover the union of reason and
faith so as to be able to talk to cultures --such as Islam -- that
unite reason with faith.

Far from criticizing Muslims, at Regensberg Pope Benedict was
aligning himself with them....

What is really unfortunate isn't that Pope Benedict reached back to a
flawed and bigoted 12th century conversation in order to have a
context for speaking about religious violence today.  What is
unfortunate is that he *had* to.  For centuries, the West refused to
talk to Islam at all, because we didn't share the same faith.

Now, we've lost even the ability to talk to Islam, and we've lost
that ability because we don't share a belief in faith itself -- a
belief that is central to Islamic culture.  Unless we reclaim the
ability to talk about faith without sneering, we will insult Muslims
at the very core of their culture, at the very core of their
existence.  In that state of insult, there can be no peace.

What Pope Benedict is saying, is this: It is the insistence that
faith has no part in a modern and rational world, that is the
hobgoblin of little minds.  [emphases in original]

See an earlier post from me on this topic
with the URL to the full diary.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: