> Good for our Attorney General Lockyear.   He must be
enlightened.   We
> all know the solution though: nationalize the oil companies.
According
> to your arguments it must become part of the commons.  That would
solve
> a lot of problems and the car companies could jump on building
high
> efficiency low emission automobiles without fear from the
rakshasas who
> run the oil companies.

Without fear from the ... oil companies?

Why would car manufacturers fear the oil companies?  This silly
notion that the car manufacturers and the oil companies are in
cahoots to build less gas-consuming cars so as to sell more oil can
be debunked very easily:

In the '70s Detroit almost went out of business because of their gas-
guzzlers.  During the energy crisis, smaller more efficient Japanese
cars started to take over the market.  Detroit lost billions.

Is this the successful collaberation between oil companies and auto
manufacturers you allude to, Genius?

> shempmcgurk wrote:
>
> >California Sues GM, Ford, Toyota Over Global Warming (Update1)
> >
> >By Karen Gullo and Alan Ohnsman
> >
> >Sept. 20 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and
> >four other automakers were sued by California for making vehicles
> >that contribute to global warming, causing pollution and erosion
> >that costs the state millions of dollars.
> >
> >The lawsuit filed today in U.S. District Court in Oakland said
> >General Motors, Ford, Toyota Motor Corp., DaimlerChrysler AG,
Honda
> >Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co., the six largest automakers in the
> >U.S., have created a ``public nuisance'' by making millions of
> >vehicles that emit huge quantities of carbon dioxide, a
greenhouse
> >gas that contributes to global warming.
> >
> >The suit, which seeks damages related to pollution, beach erosion
> >and reduced water supplies, is the latest action by California to
> >push businesses and the federal government to address global
> >warming. The legislature approved a measure last month to force
> >utilities to cut emissions, and the state has sued the U.S. for
> >failing to address the effects of global warming.
> >
> >``Vehicle emissions are the single most rapidly growing source of
> >the carbon emissions contributing to global warming, yet the
federal
> >government and the automakers have refused to act,'' said
California
> >Attorney General Bill Lockyer in a statement.
> >
> >California has already targeted carmakers with rules that would
> >require them to lower emissions. The state enacted rules in 2004
> >that would force them to cut the amount of carbon dioxide and
other
> >tailpipe gases by up to 30 percent in cars sold in the state.
> >Several other states have adopted or are weighing similar rules.
> >
> >Overturn
> >
> >Edward Cohen, a spokesman for Honda, and Dave Barthmuss, a
spokesman
> >for General Motors, didn't immediately return calls seeking
comment.

> >Automakers are suing to overturn these rules. Redesigning cars to
> >address such restrictions would cost the industry billions of
> >dollars, carmakers have claimed, especially in the California
> >market. The state asked a federal court on Sept. 15 to throw the
> >case out. The judge has yet to rule.
> >
> >California legislators approved the toughest pollution limits in
the
> >U.S. last month, requiring utilities, oil refineries and other
> >companies to cut emissions tied to global warming by 25 percent
in
> >the next 14 years. California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, a
> >Republican who is seeking re-election this year, said he supports
> >the measure.
> >
> >Burning Gasoline
> >
> >Carbon dioxide is a byproduct of burning gasoline. Car companies
say
> >the only way to meet California's emissions rules is to reduce
> >vehicle fuel consumption. They claim the state is trying to
regulate
> >fuel economy, or the number of miles a car runs on a gallon of
gas,
> >a standard which is set by the National Highway Traffic Safety
> >Administration.
> >
> >Automakers including GM, Honda, and Toyota said they are
developing
> >so-called fuel-cell cars in response to consumer demand for
better
> >fuel economy amid higher gas prices. Fuel cells produce only
water
> >vapor as a byproduct.
> >
> >The lawsuit is California v. General Motors, U.S. District Court,
> >Northern District of California.
> >
> >To contact the reporter on this story: Karen Gullo in San
Francisco
> >at [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
> >
> >Last Updated: September 20, 2006 13:01 EDT

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: