--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "vajradhatu108"

<babajii_99@> wrote:

> >  (snip)
> > "I'm honestly curious. This effortlessness thang
> >

> > The 'Effortless Thang' is a hot button indeed;
> > Indeed, once again you have found, single handily:
> > "The Hot Button"...
> > And why is it such a hot button, I am wondering?
> > Well perhaps, it's because the whole notion of effortlessness;
> > Until Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, came onto the scene;
> > Was not a widely understood concept or belief...
> > And still causes much confusion, as explified in your piece...
>

> Actually this is a very ancient idea.
>
> I just returned from retreat and one of the texts I took with me
was _The Authenticity of
> Spontaneous Presence_ which deals explicitly with Unity
Consciousness and contains a
> whole section on effortlessness. One of the criteria you can look
for to see if the system of
> practice you are using is effortless is to see if it is based on
the Two Truths, a relative and
> an absolute.
>
> If it is, it cannot be effortless.
>
> In regards to transcending, the Expansive Space Great Completion
Tantra says the
> following:
>
> "Although the external appears as "object"
> Clear, non-conceptual, and so forth,
> Although the mind does nothing at all
> It's charmed, allured by the taste of the transcendent, so
> Eliminate just that internal superimposition.
> This is clear."
>
> Effortlessness cannot exist with a View that presupposes or works
with "two" (truths) but
> only where Spontaneous Presence exists as Inseparability. This is
epistemologically
> impossible where there is an overlay or superimposition as in the
above quote.

With all due respect, you are confusing effortlessness stated as the
goal of action with instructions given for meditation.

When Maharishi has spoken about the absolute and relative areas of
life, he has done so to explain what the adherent will do during
meditation. He could've just as easily started with the end result,
where there is no duality, but that doesn't provide any explanation
of the process.

While it is important to understand the process in context of the
end result, it is easier to explain it as a duality, so that the
practitioner of the meditation understands that they are evolving
from one state to another. Otherwise the practitioner will either
get confused or lose interest.

All spiritual practice tries to move the practitioner to the same
place. However it must be clearly explained how to get there.
Whether this is seen as a gradual clarification of one Reality, or a
linear path from the relative area of life to the Absolute is not
important. However we tend as human beings to learn things in a
linear way, hence Maharishi's explanation of the process of TM as a
process recognizing both relative and absolute areas of life (when
in fact the reality recognized when both are integrated is just one
Reality).

To continually bring up the supposed dualistic nature of the path of
TM ignores the descriptive term inherent in TM: Transcendental. A
Transcendental practice is by definition non-dual.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: