Patrick

How are you?

Gas prices are subject to crude oil prices in that gas is made from
crude. As crude prices rises, gas price rise. There is a margin that
always exits between the two. The exact spread between the two may
flucuate, but there is always a spread.

Crude prices have had about a $20 - $30 "fear" premium built into
them for a while due to geopolitical fears of disruptions of supply
mostly from the middle east (and the Lebanon War with Isreal and
Iran Saber rattling, etc) some disruptions from Nigeria. Opec has
also been pumping full out, because at $70 per barrel, they are
making a $fortune$.

There was also a huge amount of "sepculation" on crude in the
futures market by hedge funds which further exacerbated the price.
Now there is a glut of crude on the world markets and hedge funds
are liquidateing their long posistions in crude, hence $61.59 crude
price close Friday. Opec is also now trying to get producing
countries to cut back supply to keep the prices from falling too far
and too fast.....they ususually do not abide by these quotas, so
most likely in the short term OPEC production will remain constant
which will help further drive oil prices down.
Crude prices will most likely end up somewhere between $40 - $50 per
barrel within the next 12 months. (Unless of course there are major
supply disruptions by a middle east war etc.) So our gas prices will
moderate due to crude prices moderating.

Gasoline prices are also subject to a seasonal price flucuations,
spring and summer gas prices are higher due to higher demand for gas
for the summer driving season. Katrina also knocked out some
refineries last year and that had a negative impact on the price of
gas too as supplies were disrupted. There has also been a shortage
of refineries in the US partially due to the cost of building them
and the envirnmental rules and laws that govern them...in other
words oil companies and refineries have been not been building them
over the past 10 - 20 years to keep up with the pace of growing gas
demand. Finally every state has different requirements for pollution
standards for gasoline which creates a problem for refineries.

It is true as stated by others on the post that the actual wholesale
price for gas and crude oil is determined on the futures markets,
(and in the cash spot market too). Supply, demand, fear,
expectations and speculation get built into the price of oil or any
commodity for that matter.

I have not addressed all the issues surrounding your question, but
these are some of the major points,

Regards,

David

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey, has anybody here read a good explanation
> for falling gasoline prices in the United States?
> I don't see how supply is any higher or demand
> any lower, which would be the purest explanations.
>
> Other explanations include superradiance and a
> conspiracy to re-elect Republicans, but I'd prefer
> to know what mainstream economists are positing.
>
> Thanks for any light you can shed.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: