> For that matter, could *all* forms of addiction
> be a way to preserve the illusion of self, and
> keep selflessness at bay? <snip>

I'd agree with this. The Dark Night's "hell" appears to be the pain
of the withdrawal from particular identification with and addiction
to spacetime and the relative, as one moves from identifying with an
effect (the particle) through Nothingness to identifying with the
emptiful, simple, ordinary, innocent Cause (OneMind, the Heart of
All in the perfect Now).  I think it was Anne Wilson
Schaef's "Escape from Intimacy: Untangling the 'Love' Addictions:
Sex, Romance, Relationships," which struck me in how clearly her
description of sobriety resonated with my own Dark Night and first
Self-recognition of/as Brahman.

This is not to say that that first dawning eradicated all addictive
tendencies forever, as there have since then been subtler and
subtler "threads-to-other" coming to awareness to reintegrate and
subsume into the Self -- more and more sobriety which paradoxically
also includes the identification with the particle's utter abandon
and intoxicated devotional surrender to the Whole. I have been
finding this whole-hearted surrender is automatic *after* the
mechanics of the collapse (Incarnation) of the Whole into the
particle, and the exalting/humiliating Unity of both, are pretty
fully comprehended. But then, I had not been a bhakti...

*L*L*L*

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: