--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "larry.potter"
> <larry.potter@> wrote:
> >
> > http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061023/enron_skilling.html?.v=26
> >
> > ouch, being greedy and a thief is a disastrous combination.
> > poor guy..
> >

> What I find most interesting about the Enron story is someone
named
> John Chanos who is a Wall Street Trader who was one of the first
> see that Enron was built on fantasy.  He ended up making 10s of
> millions because he shorted Enron stock (and advised his clients
> do the same) when it was at its peak.
>
> But Chanos did it the old-fashioned way: he actually studied
Enron's
> financial statements.  He saw anomalies and instead of like 99% of
> everyone else who was trading Enron stock and were euphoric and on
> the bandwagon about its success, he rolled up his sleeves and went
> into all the little details, found it to be a house of cards, and
> sold short.
>
> Which begs the question: if Chanos could see the truth, why
couldn't
> the others?  Were they too lazy?

while they were making money they didn't care for the details,
the truth just got in the way.
(also many working guys don't know how to read these
financial statements. Enron, as you know, was big corp and I'm sure
it was not an easy task to figure out what's going on.)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: