--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> www.mum.edu/vedicreserve
>
> Choose Rk veda > Mandala 1
>
> Goto page 132 of the pd-file.
> Look at row 18, 4th, 5th and 6th word.
> (transliterated: gRbhiito 'martyo martyena)
>
> Did you find them?

Line 18:

apaang praang eti svadhayaa gRbhiito 'martyo martyena sayoniH

pada-paaTha ("word-reading" = without sandhi):

apaang; praang; eti; svadhayaa; gRbhiitaH; amartyaH; martyena; sayoniH

Note, that "gRbhiitaH + amartyaH" becomes by the rules of sandhi
"gRbhiito 'martyaH"; by another rule "amartyaH + martyena" becomes
"amartyo martyena". Well, "martyena" is the instrumental sinular
form of "martya" ("martya-by", etc.) Thus, the words "amartya"
(immortal) and "martya" (mortal) end up looking exactly the same,
save being in different inflectional cases.
On the other hand, the melodic accent of "amartya" is, in the
nominative case, on the first syllable: ámartyaH. That's true
of "martya", too: mártya. Because we are not familiar with the
devanaagarii indication of accents, it's hard for us to tell
whether those words are exactly the same in recitation.
If that's not the case, that would be an instance of accent
functioning as (ad hoc?) suprasegmental phoneme in Vedic Sanskrit,
that is the accent would be the only difference between the
words "(a)martya" and "martya" in this particular case.

Two rows later (*Rco akSare* parame vyoman...) is an example
of that rule (-aH + a- > -o + zero) being ignored as to the
dropping of the initial *short* 'a', probably for metrical
 reasons, or stuff.

Oh shucks, I hope that's not a hopeless mess... :)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: