> Remember the Disney cartoon "Dumbo?" His friend and
> mentor gives him a "magical feather" that allows him
> to fly when he holds it in his trunk. The thing is,
> the feather wasn't magical. It was a *trick*, some-
> thing that allowed Dumbo to transcend his own self-
> imposed limitations and realize an ability that had
> always been available to him.
>
> I think that this is an interesting metaphor to keep
> in mind when looking at spiritual traditions.

"The analogy I think is appropriate here is Dumbo's
feather. Dumbo the elephant believed that the
'magic feather' given to him was what enabled
him to fly, and that it was special. But it was
a trick. He never needed *anything* to be able
to fly."

--Barry, 3/18/06

"Remember 'Dumbo?' Dumbo was convinced that it
was the "magic feather" given to him by his guru
that enabled him to fly, so he flew. As it turns
out, the feather never did diddleysquat; the
ability to fly was always present, just not
realized."

--Barry, 5/8/2006

(Barry, your consistency is showing.)

> With the arrival of some pundits in Fairfield I
> would expect to see more of something I've seen in
> other spiritual groups. That is, people reporting
> "good experiences" or even realization experiences,
> because now they have an *excuse* to do so. They
> have been given a "magical feather."
>
> A teacher comes to town and does a certain empower-
> ment (in a Tibetan Buddhist context) or the teacher
> announces some kind of "phase shift" in the overall
> environment or "enough" buttbouncers gather together
> or some pundits come to town and start chanting. And
> what happens? Suddenly it's "OK" to have "good
> experiences." It's now *permissible* to have "better
> experiences," and thus people start having them.

Actually, if you'd been reading the traffic,
you'd know that people have been reporting
"better experiences" almost from the start of
the current course and have continued to do
so.  This has been one of the main selling
points of the course, in fact; not sure how
you've managed to miss it.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: