I used to have an ethiopian girlfriend twice or three times actually a few times

----- Original Message ----
From: curtisdeltablues <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:29:45 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: The mystery of injera!

Shemp,

I just found your original post, nice one.

Robert Johnson from "Dust My Broom", 1936

I'm gunna call up Chineee, see is my good gal over there,
I'm gunna call up Chineee, see is my good gal over there,
If she's not in the Philippine Islands, she must be in Ethiopia
somehwhere.

There are so many Ethiopians here that everytime I sing that lyric in
Alexandria their heads whip around!  I think they believe I am making
it up on the spot to get their attention, but it is based on the idea
that Ethiopian woman are especially beautiful and were legendary way
back in the 30's.

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> >
> > Sal,
> >
> > I think you are talking about Puris right?  I don't mess with deep
> > fried stuff much myself.  I am usually only cooking for one or two
> so
> > it is too much trouble.  I make flat breads on a nice thick pizza
> > stone, that makes a huge difference for all breads including
> pizzas.
> > I recently went to NYC to see how they make pizzas in the last few
> > remaining coal ovens, Grimaldi's in Brooklyn is one.  Coal cooks at
> > 800 degrees compared to about 600 for a wood oven.  They get a
> char on
> > the bread and I was chasing that flavor in my own oven.  I figured
> out
> > how to do it in my gas oven.  I put the pizza stone on the bottom
> of
> > the oven and crank it up to broil to pre-heat for almost an hour,
> > Then I cook the thinly rolled pizza for about 5 minutes.  After
> that I
> > put it under the broiler to broil the top for another 3 minutes. I
> > swear it is as good as any pizza in NYC's coal ovens!
> >
> > I spend some time here in DC talking to traditional cooks about how
> > they make their foods.  I find that it is the best way to start a
> > conversation with people from other cultures.  Lately I am chasing
> > traditional Ethiopian Injera bread made from Tev, millet flour.
>

> Ah, now you're talking about my favourite cuisine.
>
> I had heard of Ethiopian cuisine for over 20 years and never
> bothered to try it.
>
> Well, I was dragged to one about 5 years ago and it instantly became
> my favourite.  Injera is incredible and although the restaurant I go
> to offers meat dishes it just isn't necessary with all the wonderful
> vegetarian dishes available in this cuisine.
>
> Making injera: yes, I've tried on two or three occasions to make it
> myself.  I bought a whole bunch of tef on-line and let me tell you:
> it was incredibly difficult to make...not the mixing and fermenting
> part (which took about 2 or 3 days) but the actual making of the
> crepe-like injera.  And I thought making dosa was hard...it's a
> cinch compared to injera.
>
> Have you tried it yet? If so, what were your experiences?
>
> Also, what ratio did you do the millet to tef...and did you mix the
> millet in with the tef before the fermenting (I assume you did)?
>
> I've become quite friendly with the owner of the Ethiopian who owns
> the restaurant I frequent.  He has an almost religious dedication to
> tef, which he claims is the most complete grain on the planet (hey,
> all those gold-winning Ethiopian long-distance runners all grew up
> on it, so there's gotta be something to it!).
>
> All I know is, I can have a stomach ache before eating Ethiopean
> and, after, it will be gone.
>

>  Most
> > Ethiopians here don't even bother to make it, they just buy it.  I
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)