<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kama Sutra movie
>
> How they managed to make a movie with hot chicks in an exotic setting
> almost unwatchable, was twisted artistic genius.  I came to the film
> with every expectation of loving it, and I could barely finish the
> film.   I forget if it was the mind numbingly stupid dialog that
> ruined it for me, but I remember a throbbing between my temples
> instead of further south while watching it that made me reach for the
> remote.  Such a waste.

> wrote:

> > wrote:

> > > This almost certainly had to have come from an Indian
> > > source, or it would have mentioned that she's also the
> > > director of Kama Sutra. It's one of the loveliest films
> > > ever, but was not received well in India (and in fact
> > > was prevented from being shown there in many locations).
> > >
> > > Fascinating to me that the country that invented the
> > > Kama Sutra is too prudish to deal with a film that
> > > has the same title and shows a little nudity. (Actually,
> > > it's the cross-caste sex that was probably taboo for them.)
> > >
> > > And re Shemp's suggestion that Kama Sutra was
> > > "soft-core porn," that comment reflects his
> > > attitude towards sex, not the film's.
> > >

> > Uh, no.  It's soft-core porn, period.  Good soft-core porn but porn
> > none-the-less.  Along the lines of David Hamilton films but even
> > more explicit than Hamilton and much more sex and nudity.
> >
> > And, hey, don't get me wrong.  As porn, I liked it...mostly lesbian
> > scenes.  But to call it "art" because of the Kama-Sutra theme is,
> > well, just silly.  Take out the sex scenes and it's not really such
> > a good movie.

All of Nair's films attempt to expose some social ill or prejudice,
esp those tolerated in Indian culture.  I think as someone here
suggested that in Kama Sutra she was going after inter-caste relations
esp sexually and perhaps current India's tendency towards puritanism.
 I think this was one of her clumsier films but still one of her
typical attempts of breaking social boundaries and certainly not an
attempt at porn.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: