Article published Nov 23, 2006

President-elect of Christian Coalition resigns
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

The Reverend elected to take over as president of the Christian
Coalition of America said he will not assume the role because of
differences in philosophy.

The Rev. Joel Hunter, of Longwood's Northland, A Church Distributed,
said Wednesday that the national group would not let him expand the
organization's agenda beyond opposing abortion and gay marriage.

This is the latest setback for the group founded in 1989 by religious
broadcaster the Rev. Pat Robertson. Four states - Georgia, Alabama,
Iowa and Ohio - have decided to split from the group over concerns
its changing direction on issues like the minimum wage, the
environment and Internet law instead of core issues like abortion and
same-sex marriage.

Hunter, who was scheduled to take over the socially conservative
political group Jan. 1, said he had hoped to focus on issues such as
poverty and the environment.

"These are issues that Jesus would want us to care about," Hunter
said.

He resigned Tuesday during an organization board meeting. Hunter said
he was not asked to leave.

"They pretty much said, 'These issues are fine, but they're not our
issues, that's not our base,'" Hunter said.

A statement issued by the coalition said Hunter resigned because
of "differences in philosophy and vision." The board accepted his
decision "unanimously," it states.

The organization, headed by President Roberta Combs, claims a mailing
list of 2.5 million.

"To tell you the truth, I feel like there are literally millions of
evangelical Christians that don't have a home right now," Hunter said.

---

Information from: Orlando Sentinel,
http://www.orlandosentinel.com";>http://www.orlandosentinel.com