--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Even though I do not consider stock markets a measure of anything
> > significant, do you really thingk that 30 year Statistician Maestro
> > Maxwell Rainforth
>
> He was not listed as having done the study.
>
> > did not account for this layman's mistake?
> > Don't kid yourself...he accounted for it.
> >
> > OffWorld
>
> But OK then. If you are sure.
>
> Even though this "layman's mistake" is made by many. Its common to
> assume normality of distrubutions without testing specifically for
> such. Often, results are not too distorted. Except as, stated, when
> dealing with extremes at the tail of the distribution.
>

> So if my hypothesis is incorrect as to why their analysis was so far
> off, by a factor of 5000, then perhaps you can explain why they could
> be so far off.  They "found" a 1/50,00 chance of a market rise such as
> the currently one, when such naturally occurs about 5 out of any 52
> starting weeks, on average in any given year. That is, a 12.9% gain or
> better for a 17 weeks period it has occurred on average 4.98 times
> year, going back to 1960.

If their mistake is not incorrectly assuming normality (gaussian) of
the distribution (at the extreme tails) then, it must be
overspecification, the other reason I cited. Overspecification, over
qualifiying the event in ways not significant.

For example, instead of testing for 13% rises in the S&P 500 over 17
weeks, one could have tested 13% rises in the S&P 500 over 17 weeks
where there is a pattern that there are weekly declines in the 3rd,
5th and 7th weeks of the series. That is the pattern of the recent
rise, but is absolutely unimportant to the premise being tested: if
the 13% rises in the S&P 500 over 17 weeks is "rare" or if it
naturally occurs periodically. The occurence of 13% rises in the S&P
500 over 17 weeks with weekly declines in the 3rd, 5th and 7th weeks
of the series is indeed much rarer than the over 220 times the simpler
13% rises in the S&P 500 over 17 weeks  has occurred since 1960.
Perhaps the overspecified event happened only this time, First time
ever. So it would a 1/2500 or so probability, not 1/55,000. But of
course such overspecified analysis is quite flawed since the pattern
of weekly declines in the 3rd, 5th and 7th weeks is totally
inconsequential to the event of interest: a 13% rise in 17 weeks.
(Unless one is working on some esoteric prime number sequence pattern :) )

But even if they overspecified the pattern, as in the example above,
to arrive at a 1/55,000 chance of occurance, they would have to be
testing for the pattern over 55,000 weeks, about 1000 years!
Preposterous. The S&P 500 was started in 1957. However, Their
conclusion is equivalent to saying the recent 13% rise in 17 weeks has
only happpened once in the last 1000 years.

The fact that this pattern has actually occurred over 220 times since
1960 puts a small dent in their the credibility of their analysis,
rigor and objectivity.

So overspecification, while it may have been a contributing flaw in
their analysis, doesn't seem to be the whole problem.

I can duplicate their findings by assuming normality of the
distribution at the extreme tails. And partly by overspecification.
And I suppose simply by dropping 4 zeros "by mistake".

So the ball is in your court Off. Tell me your hypotheses of how such
a gross error of analysis could be committed. First, I assume you have
a statistics background. Tell us a bit about it. Is that the subject
you teach at the arts school?